• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A Flintlock First !

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayDee Flohr

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I've shot a bunch of turkeys with caplocks before but this mornings tom is the first with a flinter for me! This is way too much fun!
The hunt....................
I've been waiting for this morning for what seems like forever. A person would think that somebody of my age would have calmed down about things like opening morning hunts, not this guy! I still find it hard to sleep the night before the first hunt of the season. I suppose if I ever lose that feeling it will be time to call it quits.
I slipped into my hunting area about 45 minutes before shooting time this morning and was greeted almost immediately by thundering gobbles about 75 yards away. At fly down, they silently glided to a strutting area about 45 yards out in front of me. One tom headed west with about eight ladies and the other tom was strutting for a few more that were about 20 yards in front of me. I was hoping he wouldn't take off and head the direction the others had gone. After about five minutes he decided to get closer to the girls, and at about 25 yards he caught 1 1/4 oz. of #6's from my flintlock fowler.
Good looking fat bird that will be quite tasty one of these days.

Bird1.jpg

DSCN0601.jpg

Way to go!

If that tree that you're standing next to could talk it just might say that you're not the first to stand there dressed as you are and carrying a flintlock.

Nice pics.

Fossil.. Awesome! With a Fowler built with your own hands! How rewarding! Good job on both! :grin:

Bird1.jpg

Opening Day jitters! :grin: Thanks for reminding us what Hunting is all about! :hatsoff:

Congratulations on a fine hunt, and a fine turkey. The pictures are terrific. :thumbsup:

What bore gauge is your fowler, and what wads/cards do you use in your load?

Thanks. Paul

Beautiful gun, turkey and outfit. I real step from the past. Tell us more about the gun.

You can not get better than that! :bow: I have a safe full of center fires, bit I get more enjoyment out of my flinters when hunting.

Paul, It's a 20 gauge. I use 65 grains 3F, 1 over powder card, 1/2 a lubed cushion wad, 1 1/4oz. #6 shot, and 1 over shot card.

Dave, the gun is a fowler parts set from Sitting fox.

Fossilhunter, Great job all the way around :thumbsup: :thumbsup: . Looks like a pretty big bird in the first photo, in the second, not so much. Just kidding, well done!!
Robby

Well done, and nice outfit....yours not the birds :thumbsup:

Looks like a pretty big bird in the first photo, in the second, not so much. Just kidding,

Yeah, I have a way of making things look smaller that they are. :wink:
That bird was about 20 lbs. I'm too tired now but wait til you see this evenings bird. It's big!!!!!
Story and pics tomorrow!

Back