• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

a fun day with the flint double

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George

Cannon
Reaction score
I took my double flintlock 20 gauge for a stroll one day last week. It seemed to enjoy it. I spent three hours poking in the trash of the field edges and fence rows, and saw some game. I moved 5 rabbits, 3 of them disappeared into the trash before I could get on them, but a couple weren't so lucky. I also saw 3 squirrels where the edge of the fields and the edge of the woods came together, collected one gray. I was shooting 55 grains 2F, 2 hard cards of 1/8", 7/8 oz. of #6 chilled shot, thin overshot card. The gun was flawless, fired every time I pulled the triggers, hit everything I shot at. Lord love a flintlock.

If I could only hunt one game animal, it might well be cottontails. I can never get enough of the excitement when a bunny bursts from weeds at my feet and darts away through the trash at lightning speed. A real quick-draw game, over in 2 seconds, and after doing it for sixty-eight years I still love it.

Spence

Nice work Spence. Glad to see your post, was starting to be concerned as we haven't heard from you.

Quite a feat to cock that hammer and get off the shot on a running rabbit. Good job.

Looks like a lot of fun. Wish we had squirrels closer then 300 miles. Pine (reds) on the mountain, that's all around here. I do drive to get grays and fox squirrels but to make it pay have stay for 3 or 4 days.
Jerry

That would have to be the berries! Have always loved rabbit hunting. Kept a beagle for years and that brings back memories of rabbit hunting while out of school for Christmas break. Thanks Spence. Dan.

Congratulations Spence, nicely done! I grew up in Northern Indiana and hunting bunnys was a rite of passage. There is not much time to think about your shot, it is all instinct. I must have killed a truck load with an old Iver Johnson Champion 20ga, before I discovered black powder. One of my sons now has that gun........robin :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back