• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A Good Day

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

50cal.cliff

58 Cal.
Reaction score
Had a great day yesteerday shooting my 50 cal. Hawknens, course any day you can shoot BP is a great day! :wink:
I started out making a backstop for my targets the day before. I shoot on a friends property up in the woods. He has recently cleared some land and has a huge brush pile pushed up out in the middle of one of his pastures.
The back stop is made of 1/4 dia. metal rod. In fact it is made from the easels they use for large stand up reefs at the cemetery. Our cemetary uses flush stones so they can mow over them and a few weeks after a burial all flowers are removed and they throw stand and all into the dumpster. So if you don't mind the smell of roting flowers and don't mind dumpster diving the stands are free.
I wanted something light but sturdy these worked well. I cut a piece of that foam poster board in half and attached both halfs with zip ties.
000_0671.jpg

This is what I welded up, it will lay flat for storage and transportation. Just push front legs into the ground 2 -3", rock foward and bury attached back legs into ground and it becomes very sturdy.
000_0673.jpg

Yesterday 's heat index here was 114* so I only shot a couple of hours. I had got up early and left without breakfast or my normal pot of coffe. I think the coffe or lack of, was a mistake. I was having one of those days when I really had to concentrate for each shot, just couldn't get settled in comforatably.
000_0698.jpg

These were my first two targets. The last time I shot I was still trying to get this gun sighted in. While adjusting rear sight I accidently tightened windage screw too tight and stripped it out. so first target was to see exactly were I was. The targets were set up a 25 yds and I am shooting 80gr. Geox. I was hitting about 2-3" high with this setup at the 25 yd range,using center as POA. I figure at 50yds will be approx. 1" high and shoot be dead on at or slightly low at 100 yds. Around here if you get a 100 yd. shot you are luck, most will be form 25yds. - 75yds.! It was just to hot yesterday to sit and prove out my theroy at all ranges.
000_0694.jpg

This was my second set of targets after windage adjustments. I was all over the place but consistantly high on 3rd target. On last target I put a dot at the 6 oclock postion and using it as POA should have been dead on. This time seemed to be slightly low and right, even though it is a tighter group. By this time I was getting too hot so unsure if I was pulling the shot and decided to call it a day. Well almost!
000_0678.jpg
This is what a flyer did to my new backstop on the very first set of five I shot. So I decided to put it to good use. My wife's hairspray she uses come in aluminum cans. Well the recyler won't buy them unless they have been punched to release pressure. So grabbed a few as I left the house. The dent in the frame made a good place to wedge the cans in.
000_0680.jpg

So I had fun punching a few of them. I figure I am not to far off on my sight in. I hit both of these at 25yds, first shot. The cans are 2" in dia. and I used the little white square as my POA!
000_0682.jpg

All in all had a great day. That was my first time with real black, and I love it. Heck it even smells better. :rotf: :rotf: This wasn't the last of my first for yesterday
000_0686.jpg
Yes boys and girls I am a card carrying member now, even got the card to prove it. :rotf: That's a dryball your looking at, if you don't recognize it. I knew I had done it just as soon as I hit the short stater with my palm. Oh well got it over and I have now developed a new routine that I hope will keep this from happening again or at least without frequency anyway! :rotf: :rotf:
I did develop a couple of questions yesterday! After recovering some of my patches I places them on a target for comparison against an unsed patch.
000_0683.jpg

Once again I was shooting a 50cal., using 80 grs. of Geox, with a .18 prelube TC patch. Loved the results of the BP. I would patch 2-3 dry patches between shots. Every 5 shots I ran a patch with solvent and followed with 3-4 dry patched before loading. The inconsistancy of the hits I think can be contributed more to my jitters yesterday, than any thing else. However I am a little concerned over the frayed edges of the spent patches. The patches new are approx. 1 1/8" dia., they are TC prelubes. suppose to be for 50 cal.. After seeing the spent patches I am concerned maybe a 1 1/4" -1 3/8" dia. patch would be better!Perhaps the patch could be a little larger. Anyone got any thoughts on that?

50cal.cliff said:
Had a great day yesteerday shooting my 50 cal. Hawknens, course any day you can shoot BP is a great day! :wink:
I would patch 2-3 dry patches between shots. Every 5 shots I ran a patch with solvent and followed with 3-4 dry patched before loading. quote]

What works for me is to swab between shots with one wet patch, using both sides of patch, then one dry patch, using both sides. This lends itself well to keeping the bore condition the same. Consistency is the key. Those are the same shooting patches I use with good results.

And you are 100% correct...any day we can shoot blackpowder is a good one! :grin:

Nice stand and looks like fun, i use to use those TC pre made patches in my 50. Hard to load and could only shoot three before i had to swip the bore. Switched to pillow ticking and crisco lube and now they load easy and so far have shot 18 in a row without cleaning and the last loaded as easy as the first and accueacy stayed the same. :thumbsup:

50cal.cliff said:
I started out making a backstop for my targets the day before.
000_0671.jpg
Very interesting backstop Clif :shocked2: We will never use a pick up as a backstop on this side of the pond. :shake: :shake: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Yep, looks like a super day. Thanks for the great pics.

You know I new when I posted the pics I was going to get a ribbing about that pic. Just didn't know which one of youall it was going to be! :rotf: :rotf:
The only two things that would have made it better would have been for me to not have been having a day when I was so jittery and for it not to have been so darn hot! Next time gonna drink my normal pot of coffee and hope for a cold front!!! :rotf: :rotf:
Seriously I had a great time, love that real BP!
I have real concerns about the patches I recovered and posted pics of! I would appreciate feedback on the patches, not round or square, or cut at the muzzle, but about the ragged edges! Problem or not a problem!!!!!!!!
Is that normal for the edges to be so ragged like they are? I almost feel they may be a tad small!
Also got a question I want to throw out there about those TC patches Vs pillow tick. I bought some pillow ticking here a while back and washed it like everyone says you need to before lubeing and using. I cut some patches and as of yet have not tried any of them. Didn't want to throw any more varibles into the mix the other day. I think it was Paul V the other day said, change ony one thing at a time!
While shooting the other day I got to thinking though, the TC prelubes are kinda stiff, the patches I made of the pillow ticking are soft!
So do they put somthing in the prelubes, besides lube, something that makes them more rigid?
Does this stiffness have an effect on the load?

Ya compleatly ignored what i said about the pillow ticking and good they worked :hmm:
My TC pre lubed patches looked just like yours, now the pillow ticking ones are still wet with lube and not damaged at all, in fact you could probably use them again.
But i`m just a green horn and probably don`t know what i`m talking about. :v

50cal.
I don't think the TC patches are washd before cutting and lubing. That is why they are so stiff. If you did not wash your pillow ticking before lubing and using they would be stiff and hard to load as well.
I would think most patching material will shred the edges. That is a lot of force from the air pressure as they exit the bore. There is a lot of loose weave on round cut patches that gets stripped away. I don't think it hurts anything.
volatpluvia

The TC pre made patches are very stiff, the pillow ticking that we bought at wall Mart is soft and does not fray or burn. That`s the only point i was making, try it ya may like it. :thumbsup:

Cliff
YES Cliff we are all very impressed with your pillow ticking patches, but man........................... what a backstop! :wink:
Jet90

Pitchy, thanks for the info and will be trying the ticking probably next time out. That 118* heat index was kicking my behind the other day. Decided not to try any more variables, my brain was getting cloudy but the sky wasn't! :rotf: :rotf:
Oh and those 1999 Chevy backstops are hard to find! :wink: Guess I used wrong terminology again, that should be called a target holder. The huge pile my buddy has pushed up in his new pasture would be the backstop! The target holder worked well though as with all the rain we have had lately the grass has jumped from a couple of inches to 12-16" high. Without the target holder the garss would have obscured the targets! :grin:

Just trying to help buddy, i would suggest posting the pictures of your patches and your questions in the muzzleloading accuracy forum and i bet you`ll get more help. :thumbsup:

Back