• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Loading technique for hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm paranoid about the oil in the patent breach and use a .32+- patch worm to get in it with a patch and dry out any oil. You can also make one with a .22 cal brush by cutting the end off and removing the bristles so it will hold a patch on the end.

There is no need for a wad under a PRB lubed with TOTW mink oil it won't foul the powder. I usually leave my guns loaded for the almost three months of deer season, the mink oil never fouls the powder charge. I have been using TOTW mink oil for decades and it has never been a problem. I do run a alcohol patch to get rid of any oil in the barrel before loading.

Because I hunt right behind my house in a ground blind, I load the rifle with a TOTW mink oiled patch and put a toothpick in the touchhole. It is kept in my uninsulated shop. I don’t pull the pick and prime until I get ready to shoot. No rust or misfires.

So many comment about patch lubes contaminating their powder charge.

Not sure what in the world is being used that could soak into the powder, but this is after a 5 day hunt with my lube. Note the black powder dust it picked up during loading.
1000010453.jpg

1000010452.jpg

1000010454.jpg

1000010455.jpg

Back