• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A hunters prayer...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I just got in from searching for a deer my neighbor shot last night but didn't recover. I looked for over 4 hours making larger and larger cirles with no blood trail. Finally had to stop, a real rotten way to end a great hunting season for me. While in the woods I had my Bookout squirrel rifle and fired off a few shots into a dead tree. Then I walked around a little more just looking up like a hiker instead of down as I have been as a hunter. While out there I thought to myself this is my church and I said a prayer thanking God for giving me another year to be a part of his master plan.

I didn't see any deer but did see tons of sign knowing that next year the herd will be in as good as shape as it was this year if not better. I apologized to the deer not recovered. I did my best and I will make sure my neighbor gets to the range and gets some ethical hunting skills pounded into his head.

I found this prayer and thought I'd share it with my fellow hunters on this board. Wish I could take credit for it but I can't.

Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Waidmanns Heil!

Billy

A HUNTER’S PRAYER
(to the slain animal’s spirit)

Life is a circle. At first, we do not exist in this world. Then we are born, grow, and thus live. Then after a while, when we must relinquish our existence in this world, the circle is complete. Some circles are very small, others much larger. We do not much control where the circle starts or ends. But within this circle, we are players whose performance is a balance of conscious and unconscious choices; influences from that which is imprinted within our species and that which is imposed from without..
As such, I have not chosen to be predator any more than you have chosen to be prey. The circle of life demands that there be both. I accept that as predator, I have the awesome responsibility of being swift and sure, for carelessness may cause you suffering, and that I cannot bear. Yet, because I am sometimes less than I can be, I will cause suffering. May I be thus judged by the sincerity of my intentions, and the purity of my heart, and when it is deserved, may I be forgiven.
I celebrate the way you lived, I wish I could live my life as well. Your courage and love of life was not a minor thing. Therefore, it is now with both sorrow and reverence that I now thank you Mr. , for giving your life, and I honor your life by pledging that through your death will come sustenance for renewed life.
Now that your spirit has been set free, it can go where it will. However, if you think I am worthy, perhaps you will honor me by allowing your spirit come into my heart where it can live within me and be my counsel. And when life comes full circle for me, may both of our spirits be set free in a better place””
where the "lion can lay with the lamb",
and we will feel sorrow and fear no more.

jdg 1999

That prayer says it all, Billy. Sounds as if it may have had a native American author. The content is similar to a prayer my German grandfather used to say over the deer he harvested many years ago. His was much shorter and went something like, "Lieber Gott danken Ihnen für diese freigebige Ernte und für eine sichere Jagd".
You sound like you really have your head on straight - good to hear there are still folks like you out in the woods.
Finnwolf

Hi Billy!

Well said. You are a part of nature like the native hunters of former times or todays tribes in Africa or South America.
I'm proud to have you invited!

Regards

Kirrmeister

It says what I've been trying to express for years. I'm glad that there are still some hunters out there for whom the hunt and the quarry hold spirtual significance. I'm encountering fewer and fewer of those types these days.

I usually pray before the hunt that if I am fortunate enough to get a shot, that I don't wound the animal and it is a quick death.

I thank the good Lord for the kill and time afield (even if I don't get a kill).

The Great Outdoors allows us all to reflect, that is one of the great things about it to me!!!

Merry Christmas everyone! :thumbsup:
Wess

My pleasure guys, the woods bring me down to earth and slow the spin down if you know what I mean. After a season of hunting as much as possible its hard to stir myself back up into daily life but one thing is for sure I do feel a lot better and am taking things slower. Miss the slower times in life...there still within our reach but sometimes we're just to busy to do it.

Having lost and almost losing some good friends my age (41) this past year it was especially important for me to be out in the woods. I probably did so well this year because I was in there 100% and scanning the entire time in the woods leaving the world behind me once I stepped out that door with my hawken in my hand. One reason I saw so many deer most likely.

IMHO nature is man's group therapy in today's information crazed world. Man + nature = natural harmony and peace. No drugs or therapists needed! :thumbsup: I like turning the hands of time back as much as possible. Hunting, shooting and now making traditional muzzleloaders allows me to do just that.

Merry Christmas everyone and safe and happy holidays to all.

Billy

Hello Kirrmeister,
Would you mind verifying the prayer my grandfather used to say when he harvested game? It has been 35 years since I last heard him say it.
"Lieber Gott danken Ihnen für diese freigebige Ernte und für eine sichere Jagd".
Is the German language, grammer correct? Are the words in the correct order?
Are you familiar with the letzler bissen tradition?
Finnwolf

I remember by German Uncle saying a similiar prayer....not sure of the words because it's been a long time...but what you wrote sounds familiar. The "Last Bite" tradition I still do, it pays honor to the spirit of the animal.

Thanks Recon. I'd be interested to know if I've been saying it right all these years. After he passed in '71, I asked my grandma to write the German words for the prayer. He used to bend down and put a sprig of lichen or laurel, whatever was at hand in the animal's mouth and say the prayer. I remember he told me the words meant "Thank you God for this wonderful bounty and for a safe hunt". Then, as he was field dressing the animal, he would taste the blood and smear some on his forehead and wear it out of the woods. He always told me that the animal had done it's best to test our skill as hunters and deserved a clean kill and to be honored afterwards in this manner.
I've been doing the same thing ever since - well, the blood tasting thing I did only once! No one's ever been with me when I do this - my boys don't hunt, so I have no one to pass it on to. Sounds like you might be doing this also - good to hear.

OK...the translation from my German mom....

Dear God,
We thank you for this generous harvest and for a safe hunt.

Bob

KyFlintlock said:
I usually pray before the hunt that if I am fortunate enough to get a shot, that I don't wound the animal and it is a quick death.

I thank the good Lord for the kill and time afield (even if I don't get a kill).

The Great Outdoors allows us all to reflect, that is one of the great things about it to me!!!

Merry Christmas everyone! :thumbsup:
Wess

Its gratifying to know that there are true hunters of kindred spirit out there. I really feel close to God and my forefathers when hunting the deep woods, flintlock in hand. Merry Christmas to you all :hatsoff:

Finnwolf said:
Hello Kirrmeister,
Would you mind verifying the prayer my grandfather used to say when he harvested game? It has been 35 years since I last heard him say it.
"Lieber Gott danken Ihnen für diese freigebige Ernte und für eine sichere Jagd".
Is the German language, grammer correct? Are the words in the correct order?
Are you familiar with the letzler bissen tradition?
Finnwolf

Hi Finnwolf,

sorry for my late reply. The correct grammar is:"Lieber Gott ich danke Dir für diese freigiebige Ernte und eine sichere Jagd!"

I'm familiar with the "letzten Bissen" because every german hunter learns this in the hunting education which is necessary to get the hunting licence.

Happy new year from Germany!

Kirrmeister

Back