• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A little after-supper recreation

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Even though it was a bit warm yesterday evening, I couldn't help but get out and try to thin the local squirrel herd. Fortunately, I didn't have to get more than 20 yards from the house.

I first went out just to listen. I heard one barking behind my old chicken coop so I ran in the house, got Ole Betsy, and came back out hoping it was still there. It was and I killed it in short order while standing in the yard. When I stepped into the woods to collect my prize, I spied another one doing squirrel stuff in a nearby tree. I didn't have any load material with me so I ran back into the house, ran a few cleaning patches down the barrel, loaded her up, and went back out in hot pursuit. It took me about 10 minutes to locate my target and Ole Betsy helped it draw its last breath. I'm confident that the camo hat I had on was what made my hunt so short.

I'm going to my mom's place tomorrow to pick blackberries with her and, along with some deer and moose, I'll be bringing her some squirrels to eat. It's just like when I was a kid!

Darren

3QNPfDH.jpg

Congrats but you're lucky those weren't attack squirrels. Being out there without another load is not safe ! LOL I'm sure your Mom will love them. Having dumplings?

The gun I use for squirrel hunting is a 12 gauge smoothbore with a 42" Colerain barrel and a large Siler lock. The load I've been using as of late is 75 grains of FFF, 1 overpowder card, 1/4" lubed fiber wad, 1 1/2 oz. #6 chilled lead shot, and 1 overshot card.

Earlier this week I was sitting in the living room when I saw a young-n-tender climb into the mulberry tree right off the porch. I grabbed the gun and went outside on the porch to see if I could get him. Unfortunately, the shot distance I had was only about 25 feet so I held off as much as I dared to. He still took the brunt of the load and looked like screen wire when I picked him up. I was able to salvage some meat from him so all was not lost.

Darren

Britsmoothy said:
Wow there, to much white flesh :shocked2:

Get some sun! But not so much that you look like your "camoflage" shirt. Actually, any squirrel seeing you in the red shirt would think "That's not a predator", and ignore you.

Your mom used to feed you, now you get to return the favor. Attaboy!

Squirrel cant see pink, so good on ya for wearing the shirt. They couldn't see yer head cuz it was all camo'd up. They was watching a pair of bright white legs moving around and I'm sure there last thought was "what is it" :blah:

azmntman said:
Squirrel cant see pink, so good on ya for wearing the shirt. They couldn't see yer head cuz it was all camo'd up. They was watching a pair of bright white legs moving around and I'm sure there last thought was "what is it" :blah:

I was thinking Darren had Cherry trees in pink bloom with white trunks, and he was in perfect camo. :rotf:

Darren I don't think there's a thing I can hunt intill September I'm so jealous

AZ residents can hunt bunnies year round :grin: . EVEN when they close the forest to shooting per fire danger. We can still shoot "while participating in a legal hunt". I wouldn't hunt em in the heat though....pop say 1st frost so thats the way it has been.

Back