• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A little more progress on the matchlock.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sidney Smith

58 Cal.
Reaction score
I worked on my matchlock kit some the last two weeks. Inletted the lock plate, and the serpentine. It's been too hot to do anything outside, so this is a good time for inside projects. As it is, this is a back burner to the back burner to the back burner project, hence the few and far between photos. I've got no time limit on this project, so it may look like I haven't done much and that is why.

Attachments

• 20240704_175635.jpg
    20240704_175635.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 3
  • 20240704_175627.jpg
    20240704_175627.jpg
    6.2 MB · Views: 0
Yes, it's left handed. No more tedious than any other kit I've done. Absolutely zero instructions as is typical. The lock parts took a little while to figure out but it's going together. I like that I don't have to be as concerned with making it look beautiful. These guns were very primitive and they show in their appearance. So no need for fancy lines or tight tolerances as one would try for on a fine flintlock. I have no desire to finish the metal other than some light polishing. I'm going to let it patina on its own. I will work the wood into a nice shape and most likely stain and finish it similar to my flintlock kits, but to a lesser degree. Most matchlocks I've seen are not fancy and this one will be no different.

Back