• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A little preseason scout...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good for you Swampy, Glad to hear it!
I agree with the others, This is the best post I have read in a while. :thumbsup:

That's awesome Swampy!..The sun is shining in the east. Great story,rifle,pic. Glad your back in the game. Congrats! :grin:

Wow! Those are really big! Wish they were as big in here :grin: Congratulations :applause:

Ok, I got the little rascals cut up and about to parboil em. I've actually never had squirrel believe it or not. Both my parents ate a lot of em when they were growing up but never cooked em when I was a kid. The few times I went hunting for them when I was younger, a friend always took them home. So this is all new to me. Guess we decided to batter these up after parboiling and try em fried. Theres a boat load of em out back so I'm gathering recipes and hoping to try a few different ways to cook em. :thumbsup:

Well its official, the squirrels around here have a serious problem. No more gettin fat and lazy...That was a very enjoyable dinner and I want more! :thumbsup:

DSCF3885.JPG

I'd say them there squirls are in trouble now. :shocked2: Swampy, what an awesome outing! That had to be fullfilling in more ways than one. :haha: I have to ask- what ya doing with them hides?

Good goin' Swampy! And good shootin' too! :thumbsup:
Nice pic.
Can't beat a squirrel hunt for a fine way to spend the day. Hard to beat a good squirrel dinner afterwards too. I can't hardly believe you waited all this time to try eatin' 'em. I bet ya don't wait near as long to try 'em again.
Them are some nice big greys you got there! The greys around here are little compared to those. Those greys look closer to the size of our young fox squirrels.

Jethro224 said:
Them are some nice big greys you got there!

:hmm:
You don't suppose.....could it be.....has Swampy set up a "High Fence Trophy Squirrel" operation and this is just the beginning of his advertising campaign...
:hmm:

David G said:
I'd say them there squirls are in trouble now. :shocked2: Swampy, what an awesome outing! That had to be fullfilling in more ways than one. :haha: I have to ask- what ya doing with them hides?

Umm.. :redface: wasn't much left to them after I gots done. I can't do the step on tail and pull trick so I ended up splitting them down the back and between my knife and fingers, I peeled the hides off.

I guess I shoulda weighed them, they were big healthy greys for sure. We're supposed to be puttin whats left in a stew today. :thumbsup:

What a great story Swampy and your gear is outstanding as well! Your pictures are great and I'm really glad for you being able to make this hunt. :thumbsup:

I remember hunting squirrels with my GrandDad in Missouri in the late 1950's when I was a kid - great memories.

After reading your post and others it prompted me to want to try my GPR flint on the little critters here in Washington state. So, I checked on the hunting season specifics and determined that there isn't one! Apparently most squirrels here (of almost any type) are either protected or in areas where firearms are restricted. As they say - what a bummer.
Anyway, thanks for a great post and enjoy the good eating (my Grandma knew how to really cook them as well) and much success on your future hunts. :hatsoff:

Randy

:thumbsup:

I pulled the meat from the remaining 3 squirrels after parboiling and the meat went into a very nice stew. :thumbsup: /burp!

DSCF3886.JPG

DSCF3887.JPG

Back