• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A microcosm of my deer season...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skychief

69 Cal.
Reaction score
Sitting on the edge of a clear cut thicket this afternoon with Ole Betsy (my 12 gauge smoothie, did you hear that Britsmoothy :wink: ), I heard a deer about a hundred yards West of me. I soon discovered it to be a buck. A big one. :shocked2:

He made his way toward me on my side of a rickety old fence until he was a few yards from clearing enough brush for a sure shot.

As blessed old bucks are known to do he veered a bit and quartered toward me. Great, except that he passed a low spot in the fence onto the neighboring property where hunting of any sort is not allowed.

He ambled up to a stop about thirty yards away, broadside in the clean open woods. :slap:

I will admit to sighting down on him time and again for the next ten minutes as he stood lip curling and testing the wind. He decided to head out toward a nearby soybean field and I couldn't get him to turn back my way.

Boy he looked good. :haha:

Just wanted all to know that I'm still around and mostly deer hunting. This is just the latest episode of being "snake bit", but, I'm loving every minute of being out there.

Didn't want any of ya to write me out of your wills. :hatsoff:

Best regards, Skychief

I have to ask... why would you hunt so close to land where hunting is not permitted at all. Seems like it would be problematic.

Great question Silly Goose. I was hunting the downwind edge of the clear cut. It's a tangle of treetops, green briar and multi flora rose over a man's head except on the edges. Impenetrable.

Best regards, Skychief

I hope you can at least get permission to retrieve game on the no-hunting property. Seems like they always jump the fence after the shot if there's a fence handy.

And don't forget a clippers or machete for going after the ones that run the other way.

You don't happen to have a deep, fast, cold river on one of the other sides and a vertical cliff on the other do you? That would make it perfect. :haha: Deer ALWAYS prefer to run either onto posted property, deep into thick briars, down a steep cliff, or across a creek before they die.

Good luck. :thumbsup:

Yeah they sure do Jethro :haha:

Should a deer drop on the neighboring land, I can retrieve it with the owner. The section of his ground that I'm hunting next to is managed by The Nature Conservancy. I'm not super familiar with their program, but don't think one can even remove a mushroom from it.

Best regards, Skychief

It sounds like you might have benefited from a call or two. Grunting might have worked, but a doe bleat might also have brought him in.

Skychief said:
The section of his ground that I'm hunting next to is managed by The Nature Conservancy. I'm not super familiar with their program, but don't think one can even remove a mushroom from it.

Just tell them that you're retrieving your lead ball :shocked2: that just happens to have a deer wrapped around it.

Great to hear your account. Keep us posted.

Richard/Grumpa

Sorry you didn't get him but at least you saw him and know where his traveling. Better luck next time. By the way I wrote you out of the will and all the guns go to my son. :rotf: Dan.

A few years ago I was hunting corporate land that was open to hunting and which was adjacent to a Catholic retreat run by an order of nuns.

After a few hrs had passed, a herd of does came by and picked out the largest and shot. Evidently not a good shot because the doe went into the nun's property and I trailed her until I saw her lying, still alive. Stood there mulling over the possibilities....should I shoot the doe and quickly drag her onto "legal" property, but the shot would ring out and disturb the nun's contemplations....not a good idea. So, as I was pondering further, a car drove up and the driver introduced herself as the Mother Superior and asked me if I was lost and did I realize that I was trespassing? I said yes to the last question and told her what had happened and pointed to the wounded doe and told her I was hesitant to shoot. She looked at the doe and said...."do what you have to do and do you and the deer need a lift to your car?" I thanked her and said that I'll just drag the deer to the adjacent property. She then left and I was thinking how lucky I was because during high school we had a Mother Superior who wasn't as lenient or as nice......Fred

You just lucked out.

By that I mean, the Mother Superior did not have her handy, dandy ruler to crack your knuckles with. :rotf:

Back