• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A momentary lapse...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brokennock

Cannon
Reaction score
Time to hunt seems more and more difficult to find, but, I had a couple hours to take the new Early Virginia smoothie for a walk in the woods this afternoon. Between drive time and all else it would be a walk of maybe an hour and half to an hour and 3/4 before legal light ended. So I figured it as just a walk, a chance to get outside for a little while, and maybe take some pictures of the new gun out in the woods. I headed for the nearest state forest which I've not paid much attention to in years, due to having more productive places to hunt and a few hunters who live on the borders of the state land having the best areas locked up. I didn't expect much but fresh air, but tried to maintain focus once away from the road. Walked about half an hour on a state marked trail, turned north off the trail for a few hundred yards, and stopped to look around. The edge of a hill heading down into a depression was another few yards ahead.
Got lost in thought for a few minutes and lost focus for a moment and didn't regain it before taking a few steps forward........
Yup, you guessed it,,,, white flag bounding off toward the property line (which was closer than I thought at that point), busted. Started running from a point out of range due to too much brush only to put more brush and distance between us until out of sight. I moved closer and slightly east to position myself with the wind in my favor in case the deer came back and/or circled to get the wind right and come check out the disturbance, and hung out at the base of a big oak that had a blow down leaning against it about head high. Nothing,,, just cold.
Guess where I'll be tomorrow evening 2 1/2 hours before sunset.

Doesn't take much loss of focus to get caught, does it?

I was so intent on sneaking up on one buck this year I almost had a collision with another big 10 point...I guess he wasn't paying attention either! We were both surprised, but he reacted a lot more quickly than I could! Hey...the deer need to win the contest too or it wouldn't be any fun at all.

Good luck next time.

white flag bounding off toward the property line

AH...BUT the deer was there... I find it very rewarding even if I don't get a shot to see a deer moving out of range, or some really fresh sign.... but a little sad if the day is cold and quiet, and nothing at all moves, even a lack of birds...

LD

Good account, Brokennock, and well-written. Like another hunter once told me as we were bemoaning the lack of deer sightings " I like to go deer hunting for the TOTAL EXPERIENCE...". Yeah, me too...but I like to see deer and get a shot at one occasionally.

Back