• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A Pilgrim's Journey

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

longbow-hunter

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I just bought Mark Baker's book A Pilgrim's Journey and I think it is one very good read. I'm not all the way through yet but there is a lot of information in it and I keep rereading it. I do belive this would be a good book for anyone like me just starting out. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I couldn't agree more, I have them both and read them a lot. Some say he misses the mark on some things, but I don't care. He writes well and has lots of great info and stories.

Mark's books are great. I got both of them through the Interlibrary Loan at my local library. Free. I copied the articles that I liked. Good reads.

Which volume? Be aware that he changes his interpretations over the twenty years or so that the articles were written. They are a lot of fun and a source of inspiration.

So far I only have vol.1 but for sure I will have vol. 2 also. Very enjoyable read and getting alot of info

Longbow Hunter: I think Mr. Baker has contributed hugely to our sphere of common interest, and he has a good heart. Some of the pricklier prigs in re-enacting like to make fun of some of his enthusiasms, e.g., his use of walnut-hull dye, but he plainly labels his re-enacting path a "journey" in which he is constantly learning.
Anyone who proceeds through life and fails to amend his opinions and conclusions to suite the actual facts encountered through experience is a damned fool, in my opinion, and this description does not apply to Mr. Baker, who is not afraid to grow and change as a result of the accumulation of wisdom.

I was looking at Muzzleloaders website just yesterday. I haven't subscribed in a long time but used to love the mag and Pilgrims Journey most of all. Anyway it listed Mark as a staff writer but it appeared he hasn't written for a year or more. Can anyone confirm this? I was thinking of reupping.

Yeah, the sad truth is that Mafrk Baker hasn't had an article in MUZZLELOADER for over 2 years.

Another drag is that their western fur trade writer, Rex Alan Norman has been very sporadic in his contributions. I'll keep subscribing but it's always a letdown getting the new issue in the mail (after 2 months) and to not see an article from either.

And I've always liked Mike Nesbitt but with the absence of the others to balance out his writings he's starting to grate a little with his articles becoming more and more an advertisement/love affair with North Star West.

I dunno, sometimes I think about just giving up reading and renewing my subscriptions to Buckskin Beauties and Blackpowder Pouters.

I have some issues from the late '80's - early '90's that my brother gave to me. I always enjoyed the Pilgrim's Journey articles.

A couple of years ago I ordered a DVD from the History Channel, "Boone and Crockett: The Hunter Heroes". Mark Baker played Davy Crockett in it. I always assumed it was the same Mark Baker as was writing "A Pilgrim's Journey".

One night I googled "Mark Baker", and I found that he had accepted a teaching job of some sort at a school. If this is true, maybe this is why he has not had an article in the magazine for a while.

So, maybe I am right, and maybe I am not. Maybe someone else can verify any of this.

Outdoorman

Black Powder Beauties hunh? Where did you find that one lol. Yea Mike Nesbitt was just starting to write for them again when I had to drop my subscription. For me he had a little too much of the ronnyvous style to his writing.

Yep Mark Baker was in that episode. He's also in Last of the Mohicans. He has a one liner. As far as I know he was teaching at a high school when he was writing full time. I still have many of my issues from the nineties left over. Might have to just go back and reread them.

Ahh, yes. Last of the Mohicans. Seems like someone once wrote in the forum that Mark Baker taught the actors how to load their guns while running.

Outdoorman

Mark Baker taught Daniel Day Lewis how to load and shoot for Last of the Mohicans. He does get a one line speaking part. When the group led by Hawkeye finally gets into the fort, Mark is the one that yells out "Hello Hawkeye" or something like that while standing on the parapet.

Many Klatch

Your right. That's what I was trying to remember.

Thanks for getting me on the right trail.

Outdoorman

Many Klatch said:
Mark Baker taught Daniel Day Lewis how to load and shoot for Last of the Mohicans. He does get a one line speaking part. When the group led by Hawkeye finally gets into the fort, Mark is the one that yells out "Hello Hawkeye" or something like that while standing on the parapet.

Many Klatch

I thought that was Nathanial whose family was murdered? I'll have to watch it again.

The line was pretty simple "HO Boys!" Believe me I've watched it a thousand times :grin: . It was John Camerons family that was slaughtered.

Latest posts

Back