• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A plethora of squirrels!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Egler

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Went fishing yesterday. Not squirrel season. I walk about a mile back in the woods to my fishing spot. Sitting on the bank, start hearing noises above me. Squirrels. Everywhere. LOTS of squirrels. LOTS. More squirrels than I've ever seen in one place. The dang place was overrun with fuzzy grey things!

I have my pistol, but I'm thinking "Not...squirrel...season....Must....not....shoot....squirrels!" :nono: :haha:

Where the heck were they during squirrel season?! And they weren't the least concerned about my presence.
I managed to resist the temptation. :grin:

I know that fighting back the urge to shoot squirrels, etc. out of season feeling. I always run into packs of squirrels when bow hunting.

Sounds as though your area is reverting to the situation in the old days. I'm forever running across descriptions of hordes of squirrels. They were so destructive of crops that days were set aside for the men in a community to kill them, and at times bounties were paid.

"The Pennsylvania Gazette
Date: November 28, 1765

We hear from Stoughton, that on Monday, the 4th of this Instant, Twenty Men went out in the Morning to hunt after squirrels , who returned the same Evening, having killed 1563 of those Animals."

"The Pennsylvania Gazette
October 5, 1796
HARRISBURG, Sept. 26.

According to modern prediction, the ensuing winter will be very severe indeed: For, never, perhaps, since the memory of man, were there known a greater quantity of squirrels than has been in this neighbourhood since some days. We are told, that during last week, several hundreds per day crossed the Susquehanna, from Cumberland into this county. Some of the inhabitants, it is said, who live near the banks of the river, have been enabled to salt up barrels of them for their winter's use."

The tales make you think of lemmings, with a wide river of squirrels traveling through an area, so thick boys killed them with sticks.

My squirrel season opens in 3 days, doubt a stick will work for me.

Spence

Just wait till you go out when they're in season. You'll be lucky to see a pair and they will be 175 yards away.

ihuntsnook said:
I like eating them, but how did they every get the hides off without Visegrips?
Sounds as though you might profit from learning the "step on the tail" method. :haha:

Spence

Our season starts Sept 15 th :cursing:
..small bores are more fun!
send a report...

Our season is Sep1-Aug31, no bag limit. Now i wish Corps of Engineers would use that instead of their January "after deer season til March 15/31st at the lake here. But seeing as that my county has no closed season and no bag limit, I take at least 2 per day out of my garden, and oftentimes more than that. And no, I dont use a stick either. I just see them as a varmint that is good to eat, and since the girlfriend refuses to eat them, I just cook them up and split the meal with my dog. He has a more refined palate than she does anyway, even eats my cooking like I do. :shocked2:

We have no season or limit on tree rats. I kill several a week in my walnut tree. I hate the dang things. Ron

Back