• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A Question for John L Hinnant

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Q for John What kind of loads do you find best in your Santa Fe , what kind of accuracey do you get Im thinking of shooting mine , while I carve wood around the stock. Where can I find a copy of your book? FRED :hatsoff:

Greetings Fred,

My Western Arms Santa Fe Hawken has always been intended as a hunting rifle. Although it has seen some limited use for match shooting. Shooting a rifle larger than 50 caliber for 40-50 shots or more during a day of competition is not much fun for me.

My long time load has been 85 grains of Goex 2FF Black Powder with a Speer .530 Ball. and .015" Pillow Ticking Patch lubracated with Young Country 103.

I have not shot this rifle in many years, and your question has prompted me to take it out and do a more thorough accuracy evaluation.

I did some 25 yard range yesteday and some 50 yard work today. Sean and his 5 year old came over today, and it was a very pleasant and enjoyable time. Sean's son, Kenny and I kept looking for a sneaky tiger to make into a rug, While Sean stayed busy out-shooting me with his 54 caliber T-C Hawken.

That's the last time I invite him over. Although Kenny is always welcome.

Hopefully, I will be able to give you a better report along with some targets at 25, 50, and 100 yards.

Best regards and good shooting,

John L. Hinnant

I cant use charges that high yet , I'll pop some stiches and bleed out. But think I'll give it a shoot in the mornning, thanks much. FRED :hatsoff:

Greetings Fred,

The Santa Fe Hawken Shooting results are mixed; some good, some bad, Overall, not what was expected. Very surprising.

Will get all of the targets, data, and my notes organized and give you a full report, warts and all.

I think think this would be a good place to start discussing and comparing shooting results about the Western Arms Santa Fe Hawken Rifle of the 1980's for sure and however long it was produced.

There is plenty of T-C information on the forum, but a real lack of shooting results about the Santa Fe Hawken.

If anybody wants to start exchanging data, come on in, the water is fine.

John L. Hinnant

Will try mine Monday with smaller charges, dont want to pop another stich, did you ever cone any of your rifles, it seems the Hawken was or the H+C that is shot in "Mountain Mans Choice"? And the "choke"?? 9 1/2 from muzzle? FRED :hatsoff:

Good Afernoon Fred,

Forgot to answer your second question.

Track of the Wolf is the place.

John L. Hinnant

Got out and shot some from the 1985 Santa Fe, mixed is right, 3 or 4 right together then 2 way off 2 or 3 together, its then I thought NEW BARREL, 9:30 am time to shoot a few 100 out of it I guess. FRED :cursing: :cursing:

Latest posts

Back