• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A successful Hunt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr.flintlock

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Earlier this year I built myself a 45 caliber southern mountain rifle. I used a Chambers flintlock, green mountain 36 inch barrel and Davis double set triggers. I took it hunting Monday and Tuesday. I had it loaded with 50grs of Goex 3-f behind a .445 round ball patched with .018 pillow ticking lubed with bear lard. At 10:30 Tuesday I caught some movement off to my left and saw a deer slowly feeding along and headed for a little opening. I could see that he had antlers but couldn't tell how many. Set up on the opening and cocked the rifle. When he stepped into the opening I squeezed the trigger and the rifle fired. Dropped that deer in it's tracks. Was a nice 6 pointer. The shot distance was 25 yards.

I am very technically challenged on this computer thing. I do not know how to post pictures here but I am on facebook and posted it there yesterday and made it my profile picture. I have shot quite a few deer with flintlock rifles mostly with larger calibers such as 58. Some of have ran quite a distance. It really surprised me when the deer dropped on the spot, kicked a few times and died.My name is David Sapp and I am on facebook.

Nice deer, I sent a friend request my name is randy Debord..............watch yer top knot............

Flint does make them taste better. I have hunted exclusively( I also hunt archery) with flint and patched round balls since 1999.This is deer #24 with flint.

Randy when I leave here I will go back to facebook and accept you as a friend. Also, It may be of interest to you that I did a pictorial of me building that rifle and posted them in my pictures on facebook. There are between 70 and 80 pictures and show step by step of the rifle being constructed.

Don't know how to use facebook but I am listed as Ray Swenson would sure like to see your build pictures. fun 4 dad at yahoo dot com is the email I use the most.

I am definitly going to enjoy looking at those pictures. I have acquired all the parts for a .54 flintlock that I am slowly building, and I could use a little reassurance....................watch yer top knot..............

At the top of the index page to this forum, there are clear instructions on how to post pictures on this site. Check them out. I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how easy it is. :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back