• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A tag and a .40

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, I drew an Applegate Unit muzzleloader tag this year. Two factors make this tag unique in Oregon: first, the hunt begins the second week of November at the peak of the rut, when most other Oregon seasons are closed. Second, the Applegate Unit produces some of the biggest blacktails on the West Coast.
What will make this particularly sweet is that by the time the season opens, I expect to have my lovely little .40 flinter from the talented Mr. Stroh to hunt with. I know, with that little ball, I'll need to get close and make a good shot.

Sounds like a "Triple-Critical-High' situation you have coming together there, good luck !!
:thumbsup:

PS:
You referenced the little .40cal ball...in case you're not aware of it...and would not be adverse to it...member 'oldnamvet' recently had Lee Precision make a custom mold that produces a .40cal x 200grn R.E.A.L. conical.
A few have tested them in existing .40cal deep groove barrels and they give outstanding accuracy with around 70grns Goex 2F...offers a bigger game option that jumps the little .40cal much higher up the energy scale...

Last edited by a moderator:
Good luck. May your aim be true, your piece accurate, your game close, the ball deadly and may the spirit of the woods allow a fine deer to give himself up to you.

Here on the other coast 250 years ago a .40 cal was fine for whitetails. I think if its legal in your state and if you know it's limitations you'll be fine. Enjoy!

couple of years ago took a nice white tail doe with my 40 cal.waited 'til the right shot came along.That little 40 cal pill resulted in a DRT Tn doe, so 40 can and will work.Good luck on ya :thumbsup:

Back