• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A Tale of Two Nipples...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abel

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I own to 50 cal. T/C Hawken rifles. I use CCI no.11 caps. On one rifle, the caps fit too tight and will barely go on. On the other rifle, they are too loose and will fall off the nipple if you turn the rifle over/sideways. What can I do asides from buying two new nipples? :hmm:

Thanks.

Factory nipples are somewhat notorious for being less than the best. Buy some nipples!

When you have a nipple that leaves the cap loose, pinch the sides of the cap before putting on the nipple. That will hold it to the nipple until you fire the cap.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,

I had one like that I bought to replace the worn out one on my rifle. It was a tad too big.

I chucked it in the drill and used some 800 grit wet sandpaper to polish it and taper the cone until the micrometer said it was .001" over the old one.

I do not know if this is advisable, but it worked just fine and has for a couple hundred shots now.

Josh

All I can say is after reading the title this thread the content is a huge let down. :grin:

Paul has good advice replace em.

The oversized nipple can be fixed easily by chucking in a lathe or drill and holding a tool stone or a piece of emery cloth backed by a piece of wood against it to take it down to size. The under sized nipple can be handled by sucking on it unti it enlarges ( Sorry wrong type of nipple . :rotf: ). Or by squeasing the caps slightly for a temporay fix.

Nipples are cheap enough, buy 4 new, good quality nipples. That way you will have consistency with both rifles and you will have spares too.

I've recently changed over to a Spit Fire nipple, and am quite impressed with it. Take a look at Dixie, I ordered mine from Cabela's and it looks like I got robbed on the price.

Dixie has a minimum shipping charge of like $15, so on a few nipples you'll get robbed there too! TOW will charge actual shipping costs.

Shipping from many suppliers is just getting crazy these days.
I suggest everybody use the "online shopping" feature and run your "shopping cart" through to checkout...then, and only then, you'll see what actual charges will be. Just "X" out of the website if you don't choose to buy.

Back