• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Woodsrunner Builders - Tools and Supplies?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrfritz44

32 Cal
Reaction score
I'd like to generate a list of tools and supplies previous Woodsrunner builders found useful given the fact that the Woodsrunner is machined to such a high degree of accuracy. In theory, I shouldn't need to buy much.

If you're an experienced Woodsrunner builder, can you please check my list for completeness and potential modifications?

Tools I need:
  • Gunsmith screwdrivers
  • Lock vice
  • Files - what worked well for you?
  • Chisel - What worked well for you?

Tools I own:
  • Ballpeen hammer
  • Mallet
  • Needle nose pliers
  • Wire cutters
  • Nail set

Supplies I need:
  • Red ScotchBright
  • Sandpaper - grits 120 to 400?
  • 0000 Steel Wool
  • Brass Black - plan to blacken the brass
  • Birchwood Casey Plum Brown
  • Iron Nitrate
  • Birchwood Casey TruOil - is there a better choice for a traditional hand rubbed satin finish?
  • Wool Daubers to apply Brass Black and Browning solutions
Can anyone see anything I might be missing or have other suggestions?

On files, a 8” single cut smooth mill file for draw filing the barrel. And a set of jewelry files to detail the brass. Most of the files to complete nearly anything are in the picture but as I make them they don’t have names except the vainer.
Tru-oil is first rate to me, you can get any results with it by how you apply it.
68E83786-8D68-4762-85E4-2585FF10C917 by Oliver
Sudden, on Flickr
IMG_0250 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr

Last edited:
Back