• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A Thread Thread

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zonie

Moderator Emeritus In Remembrance
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
This post is for those who didn't take 'Shop' in High School (or anywhere else for that matter).
It started just to warn folks about buying that 'super good deal' at the hardware store but the more I thought about it, the larger it became so if you don't understand how to make threads, or you are just hard up for something to read then read on...

Of course most folks know what a thread looks like and what it does so I won't get into that too much. There are a few things that tend to confuse some people so I will hit on some of them.

Threads are basically an inclined plane or ramp wound around a centerline.
Over the years, they became standardized and there are a lot of standards, many of them standards we gunbuilders aren't very interested in (like Light Bulb Threads, Whitney Threads, Acme Threads etc.).

For us gunbuilders, there are two standards we are interested in: The UN and the Metric Threads.
No, UN isn't that bunch of government weenies from all over the world, it stands for Unified National. Metric threads are similar to UN threads in their shape but of course they are made to the Metric System. Beyond mentioning them here and a little later, I won't be getting into them very much.

The UN threads are triangular in shape with a 60 degree included angle so both faces will be at 30 degrees from the axis of the thread diameter. This, it has been found gives a good strength for providing axial thrust without introducing excessive radial forces into the nut or other external part.

In the more common UN threads (in the U.S.A.), there are two thread series for each size. (Yes Fred, there are more but we don't really need to get into the other ones).
The two that interest us are the UNC and the UNF.
These stand for Unified National Course and Unified National Fine.

The UNC threads include: #6-32, #8-32, #10-24, #12-24, 1/4-20, 5/16-18, 3/8-16, 7/16-14, 1/2-13, 9/16-12, 5/8-11, 3/4-10, 7/8-9 and 1-8.

The UNF threads include: #6-40, #8-36, #10-32, #12-28, 1/4-28, 5/16-24, 3/8-24, 7/16-20, 1/2-20, 9/16-18, 5/8-18, 3/4-16, 7/8-14 and 1-12.

So, what do all of these numbers mean?
The first number or fraction represents the diameter. The origin of the number sizes goes beyond the scope of this post so just trust me, it represents a standard diameter.

A external #6 is .138 dia, a #8 is .164 diameter, a #10 is .190 diameter and a #12 is .216 diameter.
The fractions are pretty obvious.

These sizes all refer to the maximum outside diameter of a male thread. A female thread must be slightly larger than the male thread to provide clearance, so the tool that makes them will be larger than the thread size would at first indicate.

The second number in a thread size is the number of threads per inch so a 32 will have 32 threads per inch. The distance between these threads would be 1/32 of an inch.

If you are buying a quality tap or die you will see a few more letters in the size, for instance you might see 1/4-20UNC-2A or #10-32UNF-3B.
We know what the UNC and the UNF are now but the last number and letter indicate the thread "class" and define whether it is an external thread (A) or an internal thread (B).
The number indicates how precise the threads tolerance and fit is. The higher the number, the more precise it is. General use threads will be class 2. The threads used on aircraft for example are usually class 3.

The threads used on most muzzleloading guns are class 2 because although some of them are going to see some high stresses for the most part the size is large enough to easily do the job that's needed without compromising safety.

I almost forgot... a Metric Thread size is also given as a diameter and thread pitch but the second number (the pitch) is the distance between the threads.
For instance, a M6-1 defines a thread with a 6mm diameter (.236) and the threads are spaced 1mm (.039) apart.
If we used a similar system, a 1/4-20UNC thread would be called a .250-.050 UNC and a #8-36UNF would be a .164-.028 UNF. :grin:

OK, so now we know about threads but how are they made?
There are of course many ways to make a thread, but for us gunbuilders the old fashioned tap and die are the most common tool used.

Taps...Something they play at 'lights out'. Also, something that machines threads into a machined hole.

Dies...Something we don't want to do. Also, something that machines threads on the outside of round material.

Tap Drill...Not the licking of the lips before blowing 'Taps' on the horn nor is it the polishing of the bugle for inspection, but it is a drill sized to produce the correct minor diameter for the threads in a part.
It is very important to use exactly the size the charts specify to use for making the hole.
If it is too small, the undersize hole will most likely break the tap. If it is too large, the strength of the threaded joint will be weak and may fail or wear out prematurely.

When you are making threads a tremendous amount of heat is being created right where the tool is cutting. A lubrication made for threading is needed for anything except perhaps wood.
If you are working with steel parts, use a good sulphated oil that is made for cutting threads.
The sulfur prevents the steel chips from welding themselves to the tap or die to prevent breakage or galling. The mineral oil provides good lubrication. The stuff is cheap and it works so buy some.

When you are threading, you should stop about every 3/4 to 1 1/2 revolutions, reverse the direction of the tool at lease 1/2 turn, add a drop or two of thread cutting oil and then proceed to thread a little farther.
Why the "about" and so much tolerance in the number of revolutions? Because each size and each material will cut differently. I don't have a fixed rule to use, but if you are threading a part and the tap or die seems to suddenly become much harder to advance, that is the time! Do NOT try to go another 1/8 turn without backing up.

This allows the tool to break off the chips that are forming on each thread and it also allows the thread cutting oil to get right down to the cutting edges where it is needed.
NOTE: FAILURE TO BACK OFF THE TOOL WILL RESULT IN A BROKEN TAP OR A STUCK DIE.

Now, I get to say what I intended to say when I started this post.

About 15 years ago my wife saw a 40 PIECE TAP AND DIE SET for some unbelievable price so she bought it for me. It was made in China and the taps were coated with a black finish.
I have only tried to use this wonderous set 4 or 5 times sense getting it and the only time it seemed to work was when I was threading a hole in a piece of Maple.
All in all, this whole set is a real piece of fecal matter.

When you buy taps or dies buy the very best that you can find.
Also buy a good tap holder and a good die holder.
At least one brand of die holder has a hexagon internal shape to match their dies and it works very well.
You will regret buying anything but the very best.

Have Fun, You hear??
zonie :)

Thanks Zonie,

I had high school shop but you filled in a bunch of "holes" in my education. Are you sure you weren't a teacher in another life? Well presented.

Regards,
Pletch

I am a retired machinest of over 42 years and I must say you are right about bying the best cuting tools you can get. Cheap tap and dies will cost you in the long run. :hatsoff:

Zonie says the truth again! :rotf: :rotf:
Sorry Zonie, I do value what you have to say greatly as you seem to have a great wealth of knowlege as evidenced on these forums. Hey along with a good quality set of taps and dies a real good liberal dose of good cutting fluid, every few threads, allways seems to go along ways for myself.
:thumbsup:

A posted chart of the right drill (number size or letter) to tap given desired/needed thread seems a help to me too.

Any info of a similar vien as to drill sizes fractional, numeric, and letter...I am not sure I ever understood why the three types exist, specific uses, etc... :shocked2: I just check the charts and usually run a numeric or a fractional

I was one of those guys who never took shop in high school. :redface: I took four years of art instead. I think my education in art was probably more helpfull in my present occupation. I wish I would have taken both.

I've never drilled tapped or died anything, but still enjoyed reading this article of yours.

I certainly have gained a little insight on the subject, and will likely reference what you've written if I ever try to thread anything

Thank you!

Zonie, now tell the big secret! How to get the broken off ones out of the holes they are stuck in! :bow:

Dad has a 50 year old set of taps and dies that cuts better than any I have ever tried. I recently ordered two 3/4 16 taps to cut threads for a breech plug. After fighting the job for a while, I went down and got the one from Dad's set. No problem. The advice to buy good taps and dies is one no one listens to, but the difference between good tools and junk is bigger there I think than anywhere else. If you have to buy them one at a time as you need them because of the cost, they are still worth the cost and hassle!

Thanks to all of you for the nice comments. :)

Here is a link to a really good tap drill chart for those who need one.
TAP DRILL CHART

Most folks don't know it but one of my degrees is Secondary Education Industrial Arts (read High School Shop Teacher).
Although that degree is in education, I never used it.
Seems that I was making more money working part time as a Tool Designer at a Aircraft Engine company than I would have earned as a Full time Teacher.
Actually, I did do some teaching during my career. Does anyone want to know anything about Geometric Tolerancing and Feature Control Symbols and their application per ANSI Y-14.5 ?? That's what I thought. :rotf:

Good info! One other thing to consider. Taps often come in sets of three. They will all have a different taper (chamfer) on them. The one with the greatest chamfer (known as a taper tap) on it should be used first. the greater chamfer will allow the tap to sink further in the hole helping alignment and making it easier to start the thread. The one with the medium chamfer ( known as a plug tap) should then have an easier time finishing the job. The tap with minimal chamfer (known as a bottoming tap) is mainly used for cleaning up threads and cutting to the bottom of blind holes. If you have a set it is easy to see and it is something to be aware of. Dennis

Good Point! :)

If you need a bottoming tap for threading things like the nipple hole in a side drum, or a shallow tapped hole in a barrel, you can make one.

Buy a plug tap or a taper tap and carefully grind off the chamfer or tapered area of the tap.
You absolutely MUST keep some water right next to the grinder to cool the tap repeatedly. This is a "grind for a second, cool the tap. Grind for a second, cool the tap"... affair.
If you don't overheat the tap's material during this procedure, it will still be hard enough to cut the threads in the bottom of the hole.

Excellent book!
I would tell you what edition I have, but then everyone would know how ancient I really am. :grin:

If you folks are going through a used book store and you see one of these short fat books, by all means buy it.
The information in the old editions is never really out of date although you may wonder why you really need to know how much horsepower a 4 inch wide leather drive belt can convey. :rotf:

Actually I do want to now the horsepower. I have a 2 HP John Deere hit and miss with a 4" by 6" dia. pully, and a 20 foot drive shaft in my shop to run my drill press, band saw, table saw, and lathe. The engine to shaft has a 4" by 16' belt for drive, and a 24' pulley on the shaft. It's beem fun forging hangers, and pouring babbits for them. I haven't got my inside drives done yet. I have two 2" belts, so since I have four machines, and two belts, and can only run one machine at a time I don't have to have a pulley for each machine. I'll make clutches, and share belt and pulley. So Zonie, how much oomph do I have.

Bill

Just got out my copy of Machinery's handbook,,, 15th edition. (how old is that?) My name and 1958 are printed in Old English on the fly sheet. As a Mech. Eng. I appreciate your lesson I learned many years ago----- And it's one of the few things that havn't changed in all these yrs. THANKS.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Update!!!! googled M.H. latest looks like 27----- boy I'm gettin old :hatsoff: :hatsoff:

My first Metal Shop class was in 7th grade, first Wood Shop was in 6th. Having that education has served me well through my working life ( I am a glorified "safe cracker" by trade )I am amazed at how many young men applying for a job have have said "so that is how they make a screw hole" At least they play video games well.

If anyone wants to see a good example of an uncommon thread type, and understand why they are used, you need to go no further than your bench vise. The main screw shaft on a good vise will have square topped and square bottomed threads, because of the torque that is placed on that screw when something is clamped in the jaws of the vise. A more commen " V " shaped thread would not stand up to this kind of work very long. The same kind of threads can be seen on lathes, and milling machines. If they make a tap to make these threads, I, however, don't want to be the guy who has to turn the diewrench handles. As far as I know, ( and was told in shop class) these threads are cut with machine tools, not hand taps and dies. )

Latest posts

Back