• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

a very confusing deer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George

Cannon
Reaction score
Kentucky's early ML whitetail season opened this morning, so I had a go. It's only a two-day season, but what I like about it is that it's warm, and if I collect a deer, I don't have to freeze my butt in December. Temperature was 31° at sunrise, sky clear, no wind, a good deer day. Name one which isn't.

So much bulldozing and fencing has been done on my old farm since I sold it that I wasn't at all sure my favorite spot would still be there, but it was, and I settled in 20 minutes before legal shooting time. Hunting on the ground, ambush style, hoping all the changes on the place haven't changed the deer. Turns out it hasn't. After about an hour I saw two does walk along a high ridge 150 yards away and into the woods on my right. I got ready, just in case they changed course in my direction, and sure enough, in about 5 minutes a doe came from that direction and walked across in front of me within range. Problem was, the new owner is not cropping some of the ground in my field of fire, and it has grown up more than head high. I saw her ears, not much else. I was just muttering to myself that any other deer coming my way would probably walk that same path and, unlike bull fighting, ears are not adequate reward for my efforts, when a buck poked his nose out of the trash in front of me. He walked right out into the clear and moseyed across my view, 30 yards out, head down and moving slowly. I held center chest and squeezed off the shot. The buck bucked, went half down, recovered and ran through the trash into a small pocket of woods to my left. I thought I heard him hit something, and hoped he had gone down, but was startled to see a buck pop out of that same spot in the woods and bounce off to the right, in the clear and looking mighty healthy. My Deer? Even dead deer can run like that. I always wait a few minutes before following a deer, so I did that, then stood up and began reloading. I was facing behind my spot, and, surprise, surprise, off to the left of where my buck had gone into the woods, a buck about that size hopped out 75 yards away up there, and it didn't seem to be moving just right. My deer? I thought probably so.

I didn't find him down in the woods where he entered, and also didn't see any obvious signs he had ever been there. Was he the right deer or the left deer? Neither deer? I hiked a wide circle found nothing, and decided I had to find something to help me choose which to follow. After a few minutes I found a few spatters of blood right where he had come out of the trash, so I settled down to track him until one direction or the other became obvious. That took half an hour, a lot of it on my hands and knees, and you won't believe how excited even a speck of blood made me. It was the right deer, no doubt, and the trail led right up to a wire fence. I crossed the fence...not a totally easy thing for an 82-year-old... and found blood on the other side, so I knew I was right, it was the right deer, the one which bounced away so healthy looking. Damn it, I know I hit that deer hard, what's going on? Well, no use giving up a good trail, so I set out again... and didn't take 5 steps before I found the buck dead in a tangle of trash. He was shot through and through, with bloody froth at the wound, indicative of a lung shot. Small antlers, huge buck. Young buck on his way up, or old buck on his way down?

He was well hidden in the weeds not 50 yards from where I shot him. It's very easy to lose a killed deer if you have even a slight inclination to give up and decide you missed.

I won't bother with the problem of getting that buck over the fence using my deer hoist and a passel of rope, but it was an epic tale, believe you me. Crossed that $@#^&%*&^ barbed-wire fence eight times.

I hoisted, skinned and butchered him, and the buzzards sat in the trees not 25 yards away, impatiently waiting. I know how they felt, I was afraid that one was a goner.

I was using my Jackie Brown 20 gauge smooth rifle, no rear sight, 80 gr. Goex 3F, 1/8" hard card, 1/2" fiber wad lubricated with beeswax-lard, .600" homecast round ball in .018' ticking lubricated with the same, 4F prime.

One of these days not far away I'm going to shoot my last deer. I hope this wasn't it, but it wouldn't be a bad one to quit on.

Spence

A superb hunting adventure and noteworthy lesson on diligent tracking and not giving up. Congratulations on your success! :hatsoff:

Yahooooo!!!!!

I hadn't realized your early season had arrived partner. Otherwise, you would have been sent afield with a "good luck" wish from me.

Looks as though you didn't need it! :haha:

Great buck and a fine hunt. So happy to hear one of your favorite spots isn't completely altered.

It's great to see that you made it to the camera repair shop.....Thanks for that. :thumbsup:

Timely that I would come across your thread this evening. You see, I had just come from one of my state's hunting forums. There, I read a few threads of deer being shot and unrecovered. I had wondered what kind of efforts were made while looking for the deer. You of course did very well my friend. I would only guess that we, as a group, do such things with a bit more sense of responsibility, than some others. It's a credit to you, ya ole bloodhound! :haha:

Are you allowed any more Spence?

What's all this talk about a "final" deer? :slap:

Let's not go there. :nono:

Must have been one heckuva $&@;)"#!$& fence! :surrender:

Thanks for making my day. :hatsoff:

Skychief

Yes, I'm allowed more, but I won't go after another. One is all I need to feed me, and I always stop with that.

Turkeys are smaller, it would take two of them to feed me. :grin:

Spence

Spence, well done sir :thumbsup:
I sure hope I can do fences like you in 35 years :bow:
I am so glad you have you patch of ground to hunt on too :thumbsup:
B.

Well done Spence.

I've had a similar experience, where a buck I hit jumped over a hedge from a field into a wooded area, and landed on another deer which took off like a flash, but in the shadows of the early morning woods, I couldn't see if it was a doe or the buck I'd shot.

Don't feel bad....took me an hour to figure out I was ignoring the basics, and went back to where the buck stood when I fired, and I started "from the top".... 10 minutes later I found him where he'd been the whole time...that's when I realized he'd spooked a second deer which I had seen bolting off to the West, while he had remained out of my view, and confused the heck out of me. :redface:

LD

Awesome story. Just before reading it I was looking at a fence I need to get over, around or through today. At 72 it takes a plan and an incentive. A deer on the other side, and a great story might be all the incentive I need. Thanks Spence.

Just 67 here and don't care much for fences. Good job and hope you get many more.

Larry

Last edited by a moderator:
Greybeards are still filling the lauders. Outstanding young man! :wink: Needs to go up with the other stories on your page. "Nothing succeeds like success!"
Better not be your last one, I still expect to sit in the weeds with you one day and tell lies together.Try a shot at using a hand-tied "Isult" on the local fishy and sneak up on a Bambi or limb chicken with ye! :thumbsup:

Back