• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A Weird Story

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSK

Smollett
Reaction score
I friend of mine who just told me about an incident at his club last weekend. He and two other guys were shooting at the 100 yard station when a new club member showed up with a very shiny new (what appeared to be Indian) flintlock side-by-side shotgun and a plastic Sephora bag. The new member sidled along side these guys and commenced loading. He first took a small flask out of the plastic bag and primed both pans. He then took out a larger flask and started pouring powder down the barrel. At that moment, one of the guys, the designated range officer, told him what he was doing was extremely dangerous (skipping the part about the near futility of trying to hit something at 100 yards). The guy just looked at him and kept going, wad (newspaper), shot, wad (more newspaper). He put some old, small, foam and plastic Walkman headphones over his ears, cord dangling,(nothing for his eyes) then fired both barrels... and thankfully left the range. About an hour later, when the 3 guys were done shooting and driving out onto the main road, there he was, sitting on the curb, gun in the open, butt on the ground and muzzles up. The large flask was stuck in the muzzle of one barrel and the small flask in the other; he was giving these guys the finger as they drove by. He must've been waiting for them. They called the police and don't know what happened next. If it's in the police beat he'll let me know.

I've never experienced anyone like that and truthfully, I'm not sure I'd know what to do if I did.

Smollett

Several cards shy of a full deck. Road rage personality at a gun range--what could go wrong :shocked2:

Larry

Might it have something to do with that YouTube video a couple months ago; those guys were demonstrating filling the barrel with BP then three balls on top followed by smokeless?

If the old timers say it's a bad idea to load a barrel from a flask/horn. It is a bad idea. Young and foolish or old and wise, pick your poison.

Nut case. But the range officer should have been insistent he stop his loading process. What kind of range was this? Public? Private? Bad news. Good thing nobody was hurt.

And, BTW....wassa Sephora bag? :confused:

Might it have something to do with that YouTube video a couple months ago; those guys were demonstrating filling the barrel with BP then three balls on top followed by smokeless?

Doubtful! The story as depicted, describes much more than simple stupidity.
Clearly, mentally or chemically unbalanced.

I think your friends did exactly the right thing by calling the police and not themselves confronting him, when your friends were not in direct possibility of imminent danger. It would also be a good idea to inform the Range Club Officers/Officials of what happened on the range and afterwards, as well.

Gus

I agree. from what is described, I don't see an imminent threat, but certainly this guy has some sort of problem that's not going to get better on its own!

Yes, the range should be informed. You do not want that cat back. Years ago I ran into a guy at the range who had dry balled a percussion T/C Hawken. He kept trying to prime it through the nipple repeatedly, directly from the flask. It was a wonder he didn't blow his hand off. That was back when we had no range officer. Thankfully, things have changed.

Smollett said:
http://www.sephora.com/?&om_mmc=ppc-GG&mkwid=sGT137elx&pcrid=79153729217&pdv=c&site=us_search&country_switch=us&lang=en&gclid=CODH88Gkz8oCFU4WHwod9HAOMQ

OK. Thanks.....I think.
And...wat does purple lipstick have to do with anything here? :idunno:

I think he meant this....
HtOiwrj.jpg

It's one of those visual clues that raises an eyebrow....Same as if he showed up wearing a Superman outfit with tights and a cape.. :youcrazy:

The range I go to is uncontrolled. I'm pretty sure a lot of the people that show up don't even have a current membership, and I'm not asking either! When I see something starting to unfold I don't like, I just pack up as quickly as possible and leave. I basically will not even go on a weekend anymore...stick to M-Th and generally don't have problems. With the scary people around now-a-days, I'm not getting into an argument with anyone with guns in their hands!

You're from Boston, you should be familiar with the NEW York salute. Remember, the French cut off the middle finger of English Bowmen to put them out of business. The archers at Agincourt started giving the middle finger as an insult. The proper response is to ask: is that your IQ or your hat size? Then continue on your way. These turkeys are all about us these days. I never give them anything to justify accelerating the conflict unless there are no witnesses and I am superiorly armed.

I'm going to have to try that superman thing this summer at the range, should be a fun day!
A little to cool here for that right now.

Common sense is not as common as it once was. Common sense is a learned sense or knowledge gained from experience. The fact is that many shooters these days do not have the experience we might have acquired from our fathers, grandfathers or uncles. We need to be mentors and have some patience with those who were not as fortunate as us. I'm guessing the subject in the OP was a novice who embarrassed himself, got his feelings hurt and took to the defensive. I hope he went home and thought it out, did a little research and next time go to the range with respect and dignity. Or maybe he's just a jerk.

Back