• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

WORST DAY AT THE RANGE!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everyone you will ever meet, has issues in their life, we know nothing about. This multiplies with time and age.

Many in this hobby are no longer young, some are staying off early stages of Dementia, have cancer, COPD, heart disease, etc... or have a dying spouse, troubled kids, financial problems, ending careers etc... and many see this as a temporary reprieve, but can't fully escape from their woes.

Don't be quick to judge, sometimes just being a bit of a grump, is the best we can aspire to.
Good point. For many that were very active in their younger days this is the last stop in their world of active entertainment.

As we all know anything over 20 grains in a muzzleloader will just explode the barrel. That's why I play it safe and only load 15 grains in all of my guns. 36 caliber all the way up to 12 gauge, just to be safe šŸ˜‚
And you can measure your muzzle velocity with a yardstick and a wristwatch, huh? ;)

I posted this before about a guy I ran into that pulled the breech plug on his TC Hawken every time he cleaned it. He said he could screw it in and out with finger pressure, the threads have obviously been wallowed out over the last 40 or 50 years. I told him this was bad idea but he countered with " this is the way I have always done it" and had no interest in listening to reason.

You can't get to some people.
ā€œMending Wallā€. Robert Frost

He is an idiot. I had a guy who told me that I couldn't shoot my Sharps carbine because it was .50 cal. I tried to explain that a 50-70 Govt is far different from a .50 BMG cartridge. I finally told him to report me.

Your friend would definitely not like me shooting my 80 grains of FFFg out of my T/C Hawken

He is an idiot. I had a guy who told me that I couldn't shoot my Sharps carbine because it was .50 cal. I tried to explain that a 50-70 Govt is far different from a .50 BMG cartridge. I finally told him to report me.

Your friend would definitely not like me shooting my 80 grains of FFFg out of my T/C Hawken
I imagine people like this probably don't even know about these old cartridges and probably don't know anything about old guns either. I find it's best to try to educate them when I come across them at the range, but if they continue to be willfully ignorant and refuse to learn then there's nothing you can do. It's always best to give people a chance to learn, but not everyone is willing

Reacting in an odd or inappropriate way could be a sign of something more serious. If a muzzle blast sets him off now and it didn't in the past, maybe it's time for a more in depth inquiry. I've seen something similar in a family member and it didn't end well.

I was talking to a guy in our Gun Club last Friday. He said he was thinking about selling his two muzzleloaders because he never shoots them. I invited him out today. He has a Crocket Rifle and Iā€™m still sighting in my Frontier Ganderā€™s 36 caliber barrel. This isnā€™t the first time weā€™ve been out together. Heā€™s using 20 grains of 3F because thatā€™s what I told him I used in my Crocket.

Five shots Bench Rested with 20 grains of 3F gave a mediocre group. I bumped it to 25. The first shot goes off and he yells TOO MUCH POWDER!ā€. I asked ā€œWhat do you mean? He said, ā€œItā€™s too loud!ā€. Heā€™s wearing hearing protection, by the way. I was shooting 5 grains more than he was and because of that and the fact that my barrel is 4ā€ shorter, it will be louder. I got a nice group at 25 grains. I then went to 30. I thought he was going to have a fit. I explained that this is how you develop a load. The group spread out again, so I settled on 25. I couldnā€™t bear to listen to his complaining if I went to 35.

On top of that, he wanted to go look at his target after every shot. I offered to loan him a set of binoculars. Unfortunately, he declined.

When I said the gun ā€œlikedā€ 25 grains, his response was ā€œGood! Because thatā€™s the maximum charge you can use for a Muzzle Loader on this rangeā€. I replied, ā€œOh reallyā€. He said, ā€œYes, itā€™s in the Bylaws!ā€ Iā€™m Chief Rangemaster and therefore on the Board as well. There is nothing written anywhere that limits powder charges. Thatā€™s in the Ownerā€™s Manual! He thinks it says 20 grains, but we all know thereā€™s a spread between the lowest and highest.

Off Hand wasnā€™t as good as would have liked. I was tired and frustrated by then.

I will never shoot with this individual again! I wonder what he would think of the noise from a 50 caliber (or several) at one of our Muzzleloader Matches. I didnā€™t say anything because heā€™s at least ten years older than me. I try and respect my elders even if itā€™s not that much.

My buddy ordered some 11ā€ x 17ā€ Critter Targets from Baker for the next Shooting Match. Iā€™m not sure what distance heā€™s going to set them at. Iā€™ll go out one more time beforehand and check it at 50 yards.

Walt
50 Caliber??!!??
My word! I had a Pew Pew instructor come storming up to me once, on public land, he was furious that I was shooting a 50 cal (60 grain) and said "I'm trying to teach a class over here and you come out with G-D CANNON!!".
Uh...I 'was' there first....?
Anyway, because of his cursing, I broke out the....BLUNDERBUSS! Loaded up 80 grain with a 72 cal round ball and let her Rip!
He packed up his class in the van and left...never seen him since?

I'm not so sure I would want someone that stupid on my range. If he jumped your stuff at 25 grains and lied/gaslit ya with the"Bylaws", what's he gonna do when someone shoots their Fowler with 100 grains or more. If it ain't a public range refund his fees and send him on his miserable, ignorant way.
I've known people like that. A short list of viable responses:
1 Ditch him altogether.
2 Talk to him about how you feel.
3 Just don't shoot with him.
I'm like you. People tell me I'm too weak, which makes me a target for those who think I can't survive without there help. They read me wrong. They try to force un- requested advice on me and get upset if I don't take it. I'm not as meek as perceived; I spent 34 years as a state trooper. But I never offer advice when it wasn't asked for, and I never state opinions unless I have a need. Not interfering and not arguing is not a weakness, not meekness. Being meek is a virtue and a requirement to those who believe Scripture.
I say all that because the issue is apparently important to you and you seem to be like me. Re. #2 on my list, that likely won't work because it would require a change in his character, which most folks won't do.
Good luck, sir.

This reminds me of a study done where a convoluted riddle was created and asked to Harvard grads, professors, other "well educated" people, etc. and the same number of 1st graders. Only like 13% of the adults got it right but 96% of the children got it right. The correct answer was "I don't know". let that sink in.

Last time I shot my .54 hawken, let's just it didn't sound like the other guys smaller bore rifles. Next time out I hope (as to
my friends do) to fire my blunderbuss.

Last edited:
That guy is a goof! Never again. šŸ¤”

At my gun club, the louder the boom and the bigger the smoke cloud is, the more awesome comments I get. One of the range masters actually enjoys the office window rattling when I shoot my 2nd Model Dragoon. šŸ˜†

To be fair, politicos have told us that you can shoot down a plane with a .50 caliber rifle and should be banned....(sarc)

I posted this before about a guy I ran into that pulled the breech plug on his TC Hawken every time he cleaned it. He said he could screw it in and out with finger pressure, the threads have obviously been wallowed out over the last 40 or 50 years. I told him this was bad idea but he countered with " this is the way I have always done it" and had no interest in listening to reason.

You can't get to some people.
Yes, you can't fix stupid, it just has to run its course.

There's always "that guy" in every club.

In fact, as you get older you realize "that guy" will eventually turn up in every endeavor in life. Only recourse is becoming a hermit, I guess...

This guy's days are probably ruined from daylight on. He just wanted another persons day screwed up , as well. Some folks are like that , and are meant to be avoided. He just hasn't found the local senior center , where perhaps someone with similar ailments can be enjoyed.

Worst for noise I ever shot on my own range was a friends 50 BMG, The blast peeled my ear muffs off. I think it took a few trees down next to the bench.

Latest posts

Back