• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A young man and his first flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fyrfyter43

45 Cal.
Reaction score
One day last summer my son went to the range with me. Instead of just shooting his .22 like he usually does, he asked to shoot my GPR. After the first shot he was grinning from ear to ear. I knew he was hooked.

Since that day he has been saving every penny he could to put towards a flintlock of his own. My wife and I were impressed by how much money he had saved by the time his birthday rolled around at the end of June, but he was still a bit short for a new GPR. We talked about it and decided that for his birthday we would make up the difference for him.

Since he was going to be away at Boy Scout camp for his birthday, we took a ride to Dixon's the weekend before his birthday. We spent a lot of time looking at consignment guns, but nothing really seemed to be worth the asking price. My son still didn't know that we were planning to make up the difference for him to get a new GPR.

I kept steering him back to a nice .54, but he said he couldn't afford it. That's when we told him that we would make up the difference for his birthday since he had worked so hard to save up for it. Needless to say, we brought that pretty .54 GPR home with us.

I'm really impressed with this one. It's some of the nicest wood I've ever seen on a GPR, and the fit and finish are far better than my lefty. The lock is also much better than my lefty lock. I'll still do a bit of polishing, but if I don't get to it any time soon, it won't be a big deal.

IMG_0422.jpg

IMG_0423.jpg

IMG_0424.jpg

IMG_0421.jpg

IMG_0420.jpg

Since he was away at Scout camp, we didn't get to the range with his new rifle for a couple of weeks. Today we finally had a few hours to shoot.

Last night we cleaned out the gunk from the barrel and replaced the factory vent liner with an RMC liner. I also put on a front sight from mine that I had already filed down to work with the buckhorn sight. When I put the primitive sight on mine I had to replace the front sight, since the primitive sight is a bit taller than the buckhorn. Once he works up a load we'll put on the primitive sight with his un-filed front, and file it as needed.

We only had time for 10 shots by the time I showed him how to load it. It went off instantly every time, nad I'd say his shooting is pretty darn good for a new flintlock shooter. These are the 10 balls he shot from 25 yards off the bench.

IMG_0416.jpg

IMG_0413.jpg

Is it my computer, or is one of the pictures rotated the wrong way? It looks fine on Photobucket, but when I post it here it is rotated differently.

Edit: I refreshed the page and it looks fine now. :confused:

That is a great lookine rifle you picked there! I am certain it will bring a lot of joy and create many memories and bring meat to the table in time. The wife and I were in Pa on a trip this past week and stoped in Dixon's. I couldn't believe my eyes once inside. I wish we had a place like that here in East Tennessee :)! But we dont and its 600 miles from my house to there :( !
Good luck with the new flinter and I hope you and your son get to make lots of smoke together for many years to come, Ron in the hills of Tennessee!

Great story and very respectable target. I'll bet we see more of him on these threads.

Thanks, guys!

He went with a .54 because mine is also a .54. Alot less time runnin' ball and alot more time shooting!

Awesome job DAD (and MOM too)!

My son expressed a desire to have a flintlock after shooting mine so when I got a new flintlock for myself I traded my old one to him for his CVA Bobcat (I wanted a Bobcat for interested parties to shoot at the range anyway and haven't seen one at a price I was willing to spend)

That is great to hear. He will remember that gift for the rest of his life. It looks like he's a Scout too. That's awsome! :thumbsup:

Back