• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Abert's squirrels

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwiliff

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Today I took my fourth Abert's squirrel this season (and ever). Been hunting pretty hard since first of October. Bet I have 15 miles in per squirrel.

Until November first I was using 50gr. ffg and two measures of 6 and 7 1/2 mixed in a 20 gauge trade gun. After November, fall turkey opened up and I switched to 50gr. ffg and 20 #4 buckshot.

Have seen absolutely no turkey or turkey sign.

Ten days of the seasons still to go. Hope I get out a few more times.

By the way, chicken fried with biscuits and gravy tastes real nice.

Warmest Regards,
Robert

Congratulations! I love those things. Shot about 2 dozen of them one year and they are excellent eating and a lot of fun to hunt.

Where in NM are you chasing them? I don't know a lot about where they are in NM but the Sacs were loaded with them when I was there in the early 90s.

Brent,

I'm hunting down in the Cibola National Forest in SW New Mexico. The squirrels are kind of scarce.

Robert

If you can't hunt unit 15 this year for turkeys, you might think about it for next year. I haven't hunted turkeys in years, so I don't know if you're stuck in any one unit. In fact, only hunted turkeys once, got there, shot a turkey, and went home :grin: .

On the north side of quemado lake is where I elk hunt, and I ALWAYS run into alot of turkeys there. Not too far from you. There's a handful of tanks in there, and the turkeys don't get to far from them. If you're ever interested in turkey hunting there, drop me a note and I will tell you a couple of places that are GOOD. Bill

Bill,

That IS close. I'll try to get up that way before the season ends.

Thanks,
Robert

Back