• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

About your hunting rifles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

labrat

40 Cal
Reaction score
I'm no hunter. So curious about what your flintlock hunting rifle really looks like. There are a lot of beautiful rifles shown but very little on the working rifle. I don't know but do you have a working rifle for hunting? Hoping to see some photo's especially those working rifles and their makes & models. Maybe give us a brief as to what's most important to you in a hunting rifle and why you chose it. What's the best place for squirrel hunting? ................labrat

Last edited:
I'm no hunter. So curious about what your flintlock hunting rifle really looks like. There are a lot of beautiful rifles shown but very little on the working rifle. I don't know but do you have a beater upper for hunting? Hoping to see some photo's especially those beater uppers and their makes & models. Maybe give us a brief as to what's most important to you in a hunting rifle and why you chose it. What's the best place for squirrel hunting? ................labrat
I don't hunt either. I am too old and no place close to hunt. If I did hunt, I would take a flintlock suited for the hunt. My best looking gun would not be hanging if I wanted to hunt with that rifle. All my hand made guns were made to shoot. You just have to take care of them.
Larry

There are not a lot of deer where I do most of my hunting. So I figure if I am going to be setting in a tree all day and not see anything, I should do it with a pretty rifle. I have 5 Kiblers and 2 October country rifles. I hunt with all of them

Attachments

• aoudad.jpg
    aoudad.jpg
    1.4 MB
I’ve never had a beater gun of any type. Even my inexpensive guns are well cared for. I don’t use a firearm to beat down the brush or as a walking stick, others may and that’s their choice. Silly me, I try to take care of all my stuff because it all cost me to get and needs to do the job it was meant for.

I don't have any "fancy" guns such that are highly decorated or relatively expensive. Not that I eschew them, more because I'm not skilled enough to make them nor able to afford them.

All of my guns are hunting guns. None are "beaters".

My go to rifle is a bench built mid eighteenth century style flintlock, cherry stock, very plain. It has won many matches and taken game from javalina to elk. The frizzen is getting pretty thin and will need to be soled or replaced before too long. My 32 southern rifle is a tack driver and has also brough home meat for the pot. It is plain maple. Both were made to shoot, not show.

Don't hunt any more since the hills got steeper and the miles got longer. My flintlocks I hunted with were the same I would shoot at matches or rendezvous. I would just toss in a bit more powder in the load. That includes my "fancy gun" I spent 3 years making 'cause I carved the stock...I just don't go about banging it on trees.

Sounds like most of you have multiple rifles and are well used. To wear out a frizzen, bringing home the meat and winning matches you all must really fancy your rifles......labrat

40 cal buck.JPG

here is another one i killed with the same gun 2 Fridays ago, it was working then. and the best place to kill squirrels in in the city park, but you might regret it! LOL,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I’ve never had a beater gun of any type. Even my inexpensive guns are well cared for. I don’t use a firearm to beat down the brush or as a walking stick, others may and that’s their choice. Silly me, I try to take care off all my stuff because it all cost me to get and needs to do the job it was meant for.
I feel the same as you!When I hear people say they don't clean their rifles until the hunting season is over I cringe.I clean mine every day i shoot it whether it is one time or a hundred it gets cleaned!

One of my favorite hunting rifles is an old 50 cal. TVM iron mounted Virginia made by Jack Garner years ago. The unique part of this rifle is that it has a 13/16" barrel in a 50 cal. That make it light, well balanced and it hits hard!

2xBDDlfm.jpg

Back