• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

About your hunting rifles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is my squirrel gun, a .60 caliber Fusil de Chasse, using ~65 grains of #6 shot. Killed a lot of squirrels with it.
6BE569D8-91DE-43C1-A0CB-CE264F26CABE.jpeg

This a Chambers .62 caliber smooth rifle. Only got to take it deer hunting once last year. Hopefully I’ll do better this year.
AA7B3B37-F07E-497A-8CC6-B92E3FBC7A37.jpeg

If I plink with them, I’ll hunt with them. If I hunt with them, I’ll plink with them. None of my guns are ‘beaters’. I use them, but I don’t abuse them.

I too don’t have a ‘beater’ none of my guns are fancy though two have highly figured wood. I’m careful with my girls in field or in a camp.
This century all my deer save one has been shot with a smooth bore. Two with my 28 bore, 54 cal, and rest with my fusil de chase.
All shots pretty close and all with round ball

The first thing I do with any new deer caliber gun I build or acquire is to hunt with it until I kill a deer with it. One of my guns may be the favorite that I hunt with the most, but favorites change, it looks like my latest Issac Haines build will be my favorite for a long time.

Here are just a few of the first deer these rifles killed.

TC kit gun that I put together, my brother found the kit in my dad's closet when he went to assisted living. The neck shot was a finisher, I broke both its shoulders on the first shot but he could get up on its hind legs and run about 50 yards every time I got close. I finally got close enough for the neck shot, I didn't want to mess up any more meat.

TC buck.JPG

My first flint longrifle that wasn't a TC, a gift from a friend.

silver buck.jpg

My first build, a Beck like rifle, I took it hunting before I finished it and hadn't browned the barrel.

mister beck and first doe.jpg

There were lots of deer in between the Beck and the Haines picture, another first for another TC and two first for each of my smoothbores.

Here is my Haines with its first doe last year.

hainess doe nov 25 23.JPG

Last edited:
For hunting I favor the Hawkin type rifle. I mostly hunt in heavy cover so the short barrel helps. My current gun is a 50 cal flintlock TC Hawkin. It's a first year of production gun and the previous owner did some nice carving on it.

Ironhand

Only have 2 Flinters, both production no frills rifles, a 50 GPR Flinter and a Pedersoli 36 Flinter (for now). I have a few T/C's, 2 CVA's and a Traditions Crockett all Cap Lock. I will hunt, or have hunted with them all. The Crockett is just a pure pleasure to carry in the woods.

And to answer the last part of your question, in the woods, best place to hunt squirrels is in the woods.😉

Back