• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Accessories are expensive!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncle Mike

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Muzzleloading is like duck hunting.You need (want?) a lot of stuff.I have now spent more on accessories than on my rifle.This includes but is not limited to cleaning rods,tips,jags,scrapers,brushes,flush tubes, range box,chemicals,grease,patches,powder,flint,NMLRA membership,books and manuals.A big thanks to Claude for a great Forum.I have used vendors that advertise on this forum only.Oh no I forgot to order bullets :doh: Regards ,Mike

:bow: Every beginning has a certain number of "necessary" expenses, and this interest is no less obsessive than most others.There's lot's of little chotchkas out there and everytime you see one it's the "buy it now" reflex that kicks in. I would suggest reading and asking questions, joining in with a group such as this will soon put you on the trail avoiding the unnecessary items. Relax and enjoy the ride, it's fun. :hatsoff:

Yeah, everyone surrenders to the gottahaves. But in reality most of the jun...accessories, people buy are not necessary, but marketing gurus do their best to convince us we "need" all of that jun...accessories.

Think of the good part. Now that you have all the accessories, you can buy your next gun, and your next one after that, and not need to buy as many accessories for them. Oh yeah, it'll happen. It's a strong addiction! :haha:

Uncle Mike said:
Muzzleloading is like duck hunting.You need (want?) a lot of stuff.I have now spent more on accessories than on my rifle.This includes but is not limited to cleaning rods,tips,jags,scrapers,brushes,flush tubes, range box,chemicals,grease,patches,powder,flint,NMLRA membership,books and manuals.A big thanks to Claude for a great Forum.I have used vendors that advertise on this forum only.Oh no I forgot to order bullets :doh: Regards ,Mike

OK, going down through your list:

Cleaning Rod: Good idea, rammer with threaded brass tip will work in the short term.

Tips: a Tow worm doubles as a patch puller and will hold a wad of tow or a cleaning patch. Jags are cheap, but not indispensible. Don't need a scraper or a brush. A wad of tow works fine for this.

Flush Tube: not necessary. Nice to have, but not an absolute need.

Range box: an old tackle box or toolbox works fine. No need to buy a special made "range box".

Chemicals: Water works fine. It has been used for years. Doesn't have to be boiling, either. No need for store-bought miracle cleaners.

Grease: Your wife's crisco works fine. So does leftover bacon grease rendered in water to get the salts out. Or lard.

Patches. Walmart will sell you a yard of ticking and you can scissor out more patches than you can use in a season. Cut em square...they work fine. Or buy a yard of flannel and you will have cleaning patches to last a long time.

Powder and Flint: yes, you need to buy these. Buy in bulk and save a lot of money...share costs with fellow shooters.

NMLRA membership. Optional, in my book. Me, I was a member for years, but since I don't go to Friendship or take advantage of discount rent-a cars, I got tired of paying 35 dollars a year for their magazine so I dropped my membership. Others may have a different opinion of the worth of the organization, but the bottom line is you don't have to be a member to shoot muzzleloaders.

Manuals: always good to have, especially for a beginner and even for veterans as a reference. However, anything other than the manual that came with the gun have to fall into the "nice to have but not a requirement" category.

Bullets: unless you intend to shoot a ton of heavy bullets, or roundballs of 58 caliber or better, you are probably money ahead just buying the round balls. Slugs, Minies, and large bore round balls...you soon break even if you buy a mold and cast yourself.

Anyway, that is the way I see it. it is like golf...you don't need thousand dollar clubs to get started and learn the game. You can get by with a couple of woods, 4 irons, and a putter to start.

google up "Rock Run Longrifles". They are located near Rockford, Il. which might not be too far from you. Plenty of good people there who would give you a helping hand and set you on the straight path to muzzleloading. I have a couple of friends in that group.

As for the accoutrements - you can make almost everything you need.

I know what you mean. Just made a new horn. Now I have to save for a new fowler to go with it :rotf: .

La Longue Carabine said:
Uncle Mike said:

OK, going down through your list:

Cleaning Rod: Good idea, rammer with threaded brass tip will work in the short term.

Tips: a Tow worm doubles as a patch puller and will hold a wad of tow or a cleaning patch. Jags are cheap, but not indispensible. Don't need a scraper or a brush. A wad of tow works fine for this.

Flush Tube: not necessary. Nice to have, but not an absolute need.

Range box: an old tackle box or toolbox works fine. No need to buy a special made "range box".

Chemicals: Water works fine. It has been used for years. Doesn't have to be boiling, either. No need for store-bought miracle cleaners.

Grease: Your wife's crisco works fine. So does leftover bacon grease rendered in water to get the salts out. Or lard.

Patches. Walmart will sell you a yard of ticking and you can scissor out more patches than you can use in a season. Cut em square...they work fine. Or buy a yard of flannel and you will have cleaning patches to last a long time.

Powder and Flint: yes, you need to buy these. Buy in bulk and save a lot of money...share costs with fellow shooters.

NMLRA membership. Optional, in my book. Me, I was a member for years, but since I don't go to Friendship or take advantage of discount rent-a cars, I got tired of paying 35 dollars a year for their magazine so I dropped my membership. Others may have a different opinion of the worth of the organization, but the bottom line is you don't have to be a member to shoot muzzleloaders.

Manuals: always good to have, especially for a beginner and even for veterans as a reference. However, anything other than the manual that came with the gun have to fall into the "nice to have but not a requirement" category.

Bullets: unless you intend to shoot a ton of heavy bullets, or roundballs of 58 caliber or better, you are probably money ahead just buying the round balls. Slugs, Minies, and large bore round balls...you soon break even if you buy a mold and cast yourself.

Anyway, that is the way I see it. it is like golf...you don't need thousand dollar clubs to get started and learn the game. You can get by with a couple of woods, 4 irons, and a putter to start.
Oh NOOO! :doh: I know but it's all good fun anyway.I recently recieved an M1 Carbine from the CMP and I can't find a place for the flint. :wink: Regards,Mike

".Oh no I forgot to order bullets Regards ,Mike"

Balls! man balls! real ML shooters don't need no boolits...

tg said:

"Random House Webster's College Dictionary" sez... "bullet, a small metal projectile".
:surrender: Regards,Mike

wait till you get out of the "stuff you need" and into the "stuff you want" now there's a dangerous place!! :v

I know the feeln Uncle Mike, Got my first ML about 9 years ago, a cva bobcat, for $59.00 at wally world, rushed home and read the manual and told the wife that I needed a few thing to go with it to shoot and she said go get what you need and I came home with $200.00 worth of "needed" stuff. since then I have made 99% of the stuff that I really need to shoot, hunt and clean my 8 other MLs. Once you start making your own possables, the whole muzzleloading expereance becomes a lot more fun. Or at least it has for me. You have the bug. Heaven help you. Watch your top knot.

Uncle Mike said:
tg said:

"Random House Webster's College Dictionary" sez... "bullet, a small metal projectile".
:surrender: Regards,Mike

That works for the general, uninformed public. We know different, don't we? :wink:

HA! You think the accessories are expensive, wait til you buy all the tools & supplies to make your own! My first pouch and horn cost me a couple hunred bucks! And to add insult to injury, now i'm addicted to DIY accessories and can't stop making them.

The shooting stuff is cheap. It gets really expensive when you get into the Rondy, re-enactment and period camping part of the sport...but it is ALL fun so what the heck,enjoy whatever aspect of the hobby you can.

Back