• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Accessories For new Remmy?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgtski

32 Cal.
Reaction score
The Chief Finance Officer (AKA Wife) is getting me 58 Remmy with spare cyclinder from Cabelas (Cabelas Club points are Good) for my birthday so I need to accesorize. I am thinking Federal style holster, plus spare cyclinder holder. But what about caps and other fixings? How do most off you carry fixings when not at the range?

Sgtski

need a nipple wrench (spare nipples too), a capper, and a powder measure and flask. empty cartridges do good service for this. a 7.62X39 case (AK and SK) is a good warm load at 32gr 3F. .357 at 24 gr is good target load.
you need some lube/sealer or felts or lube pills. some shooter here had instructions to make lube pills you might do a search. I think it was Smokin'50. or maybe PitchyPine.
and of course cleaning accesories.
I use a belt pouch to hold my possibles for my pistols.

Blizzard of 93 said:
need a nipple wrench (spare nipples too), a capper, and a powder measure and flask. empty cartridges do good service for this. a 7.62X39 case (AK and SK) is a good warm load at 32gr 3F. .357 at 24 gr is good target load.
you need some lube/sealer or felts or lube pills. some shooter here had instructions to make lube pills you might do a search. I think it was Smokin'50. or maybe PitchyPine.
and of course cleaning accesories.
I use a belt pouch to hold my possibles for my pistols.

Hey gang! I'm not the guy who makes his own felt wads--I buy mine already made & lubed. I use wonder-wads in my C&B pistols.

That 24 grain load that Blizzard recommended is right on the money! My Son & I use a powder measure and 25 grains of 3Fg Goex, a wonder-wad, then a .454 Hornady ball.

The next main thing to consider is a pistol loading stand. These make your life a whole lot easier by keeping the powder in the chambers of the cylinder. :wink:

Cabela's sells Pietta mostly, and they all take the #10 percussion caps.

Good luck and have fun! :thumbsup:

Dave

Thanks for the replies. I got my spare cylinder, lead, caps, wads and powder, just got a new wrench. Still I haven't decided on a capper or a cap pouch and what to stuff the rest in. If I put to much on my belt I will need to put suspenders on it and make it look like 19th century load bearing gear.

Sgtski

Guess that Luigi didn't tell Salvatore to put the number 10's on yours!

Both '58's that I have (one from Uberti and the Buffalo 12" from Pietta) take the # 10's.

I stand corrected! :confused:

Dave

When I went to town to get fixin's I just grabbed the spare cylinder (the Pistol is still wrapped til my birthday on Monday) so I could get a surprise one cylinder that uses 10's and the other uses 11's. I was watching the Duke in "She Wore A Yellow Ribbon" last night and saw they were toting holster, cap/bullet pouch in front and enlisted had carbine ammo in a pouch in back. So got to thinking spare cylinder pouch in front on left side, with cap pouch up front on right and pistol butt forward on my right according to regs. Then when money permits get cartridge pouch for the back. After that I will have to get a butt so it don't all slide to my ankles (LOL).

Sgtski

Don't forget to learn that little spin I saw Burt Lancaster using on late night tv as the colonel holstered his pistol on the right hand side with the butt pointed ahead. graybeard

Ummm, my 58 Pietta takes #11
My manual says the same thing #11 caps but I find them loose until after I burn a cylinder.

So I bought a couple of tins of #10 and use them first then the fouled nipple take the 11's quite nice.

Also I find a spent M1 carbine case pretty much makes a good powder measure too.

Buy a cheap blow dryer so you can take the wood off scrub the whole thing in warm soapy water rinse well and then dry. After dry use the dryer to push oil into places you can't reach. :wink:

smokin .50 said:
Guess that Luigi didn't tell Salvatore to put the number 10's on yours!

Both '58's that I have (one from Uberti and the Buffalo 12" from Pietta) take the # 10's.

I stand corrected! :confused:

Dave

It could be a time frame deal. My 58 was made in 2000, the 60 Colt 2007.

My Pietta 58 target takes #10 Remington, nice and tight, fire, an overhand shake, and the busted cap is gone.

Back