• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Accuracy and the Muzzle loader

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Flint62Smoothie said:
I like the idea of the white dot on the black bullseye. Many use flourecsent orange or red, but the human eye has a hard time focusing on those 2 colors at the same time.

Bingo! The white on black works much better.

Gus

I use a piece of masking tape, works well.

You can reverse the colors, use a marker to make a black dot on white paper, does the same.

You can use the marker to make a small black donut on white paper, white showing in the hole, works the same.

Spence

In order for a person or a gun to shoot "minute of angle" ....you must maintain that angle over distance....
Aside from good eyesight, weather, consistency and a bit of luck...it also requires a bullet that will remain stable in flight.

Round balls are out of the equation....

Even modern bullets have a point where their flight path begins to deteriorate... Distance magnifies every inconsistency, imperfection and every variance...

Trying to shoot "minute of angle" usually leads people down a path that doesn't involve a traditional muzzleloader.

For hunting with a muzzleloader, I don't think in terms of M.O.A....I think in terms of maximum vitals distance.
Target shooting is basically the same...except vitals have a score.

I agree, Clyde. At the farthest distance I can keep all my shots on a soccer ball/paper plate, that's my max deer shot distance; that's around 8.5" or thereabout. For a squirrel rifle that comes out to about 2" at 30 to 35 yards; or the approximate size of a squirrel's head.

For my 2 cents I have known one gentleman who was an extraordinarily gifted shot who owned a particularly accurate rifle- a J. Brown Exeter New Hampshire light target rifle- who could and did frequently hold into the ten ring on a 100 yard small bore rifle target at 100 yards bench. 'Course he would do better than that off hand at 50 yards. So is MOA possible, sure but very hard to do. Wish I knew were that rifle is now... ( He was also a lifetime master in NRA small bore rifle)

Latest posts

Back