• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Accuracy to expect ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

54Bernie54

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi, new here to the forum and to muzzleloading shooting.I i'm the proud owner of a 54cal pedersoli hawken muzzleloader with a maple stock and 1/65 twist. I would like to know what the upper limit of accuracy I can expect with a hunting load from this fine muzzleloader? Here is my set up..530 round ball, .015 patch,I clean between shots at the range,shot from a bench with open sights,and use 100grs of powder.My 50 yard 3 shot group are within 1"1/4 from each other and a 1"1/2 max from center. 100 yards 3 shots closest 1"1/2 next 2"1/2 and 3rd 4". Is this considered good accuracy and can it get better with practice? thanks

Are you shooting iron sights( open sights??? If so, that is pretty good accuracy, and I don't think it improves too much with practice. You can use a larger diameter ball, you can weigh the balls so that they all weigh the same, you can sort them by size, using a micrometer, or caliper, and you can sift or screen your powder, and then weigh powder charges instead of measuring them by volume, to reduce the groups. Then you can play around with different lubes, as the right lube can reduce group size.

Of course, if you put a scope on that rifle, you can reduce aiming errors, and groups will come down. My brother found that lubing the barrel after seating the PRB produced about 20 fps more velocity, but reduced the SDV in half, down to 10 fps. The smaller the SDV, the more accurate the load will be, all other things being equal.

HOWEVER, not all other things are equal. You can't do much about the weather, or wind speed, or direction. Change the relative humidity, and the powder burns differently, the bore collects more crud, the POI changes, etc. The target shooters keep notebooks of daily information about performance of themselves and their very specialized target rifles, just to try to win matches no matter what the weather may be.

You asked about Hunting accuracy, and I think you have it. If you mess with the rest of this, just remember that you are NOT shooting a target rifle, and it was not designed to be a target rifle. Have fun. Remember, if you are shooting a deer with that rifle at 100 yards, you are Starting OUT with putting a HALF INCH hole in the deer, before the ball can even expand. That is a larger hole than most .30 caliber modern bullet make when THEY exit the off-side of a deer. In most cases, a 50 caliber PRB is going to also pass completely through the chest of a deer on a broadside shot. The exit hole is more likely to be .80 caliber or even larger, by comparison. Deer tend to run a short way, unless the spine is hit, and die within 50 yards of where they were standing at the shot.

Consider also, that the front sight on the rifle you are shooting will generally cover up more target than the size of that group you report, so you should not expect to be able to shoot much better groups than you have achieved. If you are shooting a 3 inch group, or less, that means that you are able to hit within 1 1/2" of where the gun is aimed at that distance. The heart/lung area of a deer gives you about 12 inches to hit with your PRB. That leaves plenty of area for a margin of error, don't you think?

I also practiced and practiced to hit small targets at 100 yards, but the first ML deer I killed was a shot at about 35 yards. My longest shot has been at 40 yards. I can barely see the deer much beyond 50 yards in the brushy area where I hunt, and getting that 40 yard shot was more luck than anything else. The deer stepped into a clear shooting lane, which was only about 3 feet across the entire distance.

Wow great reply.Yes I have iron sights.Thanks a lot for all the info,very informative.Will try a couple things,but over all I'm pretty happy with the accuracy now thats its been confirmed the groups are good.

Your .54 caliber PRB will of course put even a bigger a hole in any deer. Its unlikely you will recover the ball, as almost all deer shot with a .54 PRB will have the ball pass completely through the deer. You might recover a ball if you have a frontal shot, but the ball will be back in the intestines, or in one of the hams. 80 to 90 grains of powder behind that PRB seems to be what most hunters are shooting, with good results. Any more powder than that, and you are just beating yourself up for no good reason. Do your penetration testing to understand why this is true.

Try .018 pillow ticking patches. Or even just the plain ol' ox yoke .018 pillow ticking.

Its also best to lube the patches your self. Store bought always seem to by to dry for me.

I shoot 110 grains FFg Goex in my Lyman Great Plains and that sucker is accurate! Tomorrow i am going for group shots to see what it will do.

Have fun with your Hawken, those are real pretty rifles.

That's a pretty heavy powder charge. If you are using FF, I'd try a lighter charge of FFF. I like a .526 or .520 ball and a thicker patch myself.

I shoot conicals mostly, with peep rear sights and globe front sights, one has a spirit level. Most of the groups from "tuned" loads are 2" or less at 100 yards. I do what Paul said. I weigh each bullet and since I make my own I can be as picky as I want to be. I size them to make sure they are perfectly true, or as close as I can make them, and then I paper patch them. I don't know what your sights look like. I know that the original TC sights are not good enough to constantly shoot sub 2" groups at 100 yards. Your groups are very good just the way your shooting. SO I would say load development is probably either done or close to it. Sights are the next step, but you have to figure out what the goal is. If it is the best shooting gun that looks original, or if you don't mind tricking them out to get the most out of them. I feel that peep sights are much more accurate than regular sights. Ron

Thanks to all replies,going to order some pillow ticking patches,and may lighten up the load some. Did you get out to try your groups Kentucky? Lyman great plains is a sweet looking ML as well.

1 1/2" @ 71 yards is my best so far. Im having problems with the vent liner and now the frizzen not sparking. Kind of upset about that but i will call lyman for a new frizzen on monday. I ordered an improved vent liner from RMC for it so hopefully that will take care of all my hang fires i have been having.
110 and 120 grains of Goex seem to be the most accurate.

Anything under 110 grains opens up to 2"

.015 Ox-Yoke, crisco lubed patches also seem to do me best. .018 pillow ticking loads just a touch tighter but the groups open up.

If you can consistantly hit the black at whichever distance consider it good accuracy. If some of em are close to the bull then thats good shootin'. With practice you will tend to tighten up groups. I would also suggest a lower charge. I went from 90 down to 70 in my .50 and my 100 yard accuracy improved greatly.

Back