• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Acetone/AutoTrans Fluid - Tested to be THE BEST thread penetrating solution going!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
FWIW the best penetrating oil one can use is a DIY homemade mix of 50% acetone and 50% automatic transmission fluid (ATF).

Recently “Machinist Workshop Magazine” did a test on penetrating oils. Using nuts and bolts that they 'scientifically rusted’ to a uniform degree by soaking in salt water, they then tested the break-out torque required to loosen the nuts. They treated the nuts with a variety of penetrants and measured the torque required to loosen them.

This is what they came up with:
  • Nothing: 516 lbs
  • WD-40: 238 lbs
  • PB Blaster: 214 lbs
  • Liquid Wrench: 127 lbs
  • Kano Kroil: 106 lbs
  • (ATF)/Acetone mix (50/50 mix): Only 50 lbs!

I seem to recall reading somewhere that you need to get the old ATF-(don’t remember if it was the Ford or Chevy kind) because the modern stuff didn’t work. Has anyone else heard this?
I made a big batch of Ed’s red several years ago. It called for a non detergent atf, I don’t remember what I used but it works fantastic.

Last edited:
I believe the acetone thins the ATF to penetrate tight spaces.

The guy who discovered the combination said later that he really meant to say PSF (Power Steering Fluid) and acetone. Try it - PSF/Acetone and see if it doesn't work better. It sure does for me.

Years ago ATF was used as power steering fluid.
The formula I used.
Type F ATF, acetone, kerosene, mineral spirits - one quart of each. Mine,what is left, after more than ten years is still in the one gallon plastic motor oil jug I mixed it in. It still has the distinctive acetone smell after all this time.

Years ago ATF was used as power steering fluid.
The formula I used.
Type F ATF, acetone, kerosene, mineral spirits - one quart of each. Mine,what is left, after more than ten years is still in the one gallon plastic motor oil jug I mixed it in. It still has the distinctive acetone smell after all this time.
Both my Fords, a 2007 and 2009, use ATF in the power steering.

FWIW the best penetrating oil one can use is a DIY homemade mix of 50% acetone and 50% automatic transmission fluid (ATF).

Recently “Machinist Workshop Magazine” did a test on penetrating oils. Using nuts and bolts that they 'scientifically rusted’ to a uniform degree by soaking in salt water, they then tested the break-out torque required to loosen the nuts. They treated the nuts with a variety of penetrants and measured the torque required to loosen them.

This is what they came up with:
  • Nothing: 516 lbs
  • WD-40: 238 lbs
  • PB Blaster: 214 lbs
  • Liquid Wrench: 127 lbs
  • Kano Kroil: 106 lbs
  • (ATF)/Acetone mix (50/50 mix): Only 50 lbs!
I've always kept a spray bottle of it in the garage. I do add a few other oils and solvents to the mix. I also use 50/50 atf and synthetic oil as gun lube.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that you need to get the old ATF-(don’t remember if it was the Ford or Chevy kind) because the modern stuff didn’t work. Has anyone else heard this?
I've heard the same about synthetic trans fluid not penetrating as well, in years past I've always had good luck using
old style auto transmission fluid & acetone 50/50 mix to free-up stuck threads.

I've also used this mixture with a tiny needle spout to free-up stuck screws going into wood on original firearms.
Soaking the guns entire lock or original revolver's action in the solution for 24 hours also helps prevent damaging the screw heads.

Would the source and concentration of acetone or the presence of other solvents as used in paint thinners and nail polish remover change the effectiveness of the mixture? Is a "pure" acetone and/or water solution required?

Would the source and concentration of acetone or the presence of other solvents as used in paint thinners and nail polish remover change the effectiveness of the mixture? Is a "pure" acetone and/or water solution required?
You can thin it with denatured alcohol also

Back