• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Adjust your powder charge instead of your sights

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The target pictured below is a Purdy good representation of the average size group of my GPR. But the point I'm trying to make is the 4 1/2 MOA difference between the two groups is about how much lower you hit your target at 100 yards when sighted in @ 50 yards. The load I was using was .530 round ball, .015th patch and Pyrodex P.

54cal_target_WEB2.jpg

You bring up a very good point, "roaddog"... I gave up adjustable sights a long, long, long, time ago... I retaught myself windage and elevation using fixed sights only. This took away the temptation of adjusting a rear sight just to bring the group up or down, left or right... I became more aware of my surroundings, what the wind was doing, even got a feel for the humidity... Even learned to read my shawdows and bright spots better off my front and rear sights... Even kept my head alined better with the line of sight using fixed sights... At first, I did try adjusting the powder charge but found that reteaching myself the for'mentioned it was one less factor to consider... I have known shooters who swear by adjusting their powder charge, but I just couldn't see the value in it. It works!!! Don't get me wrong, and if it works for you and others, I say, stay with what works... :)

My GPR, use to be my soul deer hunting muzzleloader. Then I would take to black powder match in the off-season or The on season whichever way you wanna think about it but now, other than matches I use it for target shooting and shooting birds.

At the matches ranges are 50 yards and 100 yards for target's and who knows what range for the novelty shoots, so power is no longer a factor, only accuracy at the giving yardages.

roaddog:

I almost willing to bet that if you were to make a copy of this target (1:1 ratio) and bring your charge up to 55-58 grains thereabouts, and shoot at the copy at the same distance, the groupe will raise 1 1/8 inch, or right between the two photocopied groups...

If this be true, then by raising the charge to 95 grains should raise the group 2 1/4 inches above the original photocopied groups...

Then shoot the 95 grain load at a fresh target 100 yards away and then you can calculate the the bullet drop by the known drop ratio of the 50 yard target times two...

If it shoots 2 1/4 inches low at 50 yards, it should be 4 1/2 inches low at 100 yards at the 45 grain load...

"Just courious, I guess..."

musketman,

if forward velocity were constant(as in a vacuum) and drop was at a constant velocity, your hypothosis would be true. however, velocity deteriorates and drop accelerates. oh well, nature is a fickle lady.

take care, daniel

Well, my brain is in a vacuum and I drop things constantly, so my velocity does slow down too...

What was I thinking? :haha:

Not to fear, I can fix it...

OK, we can cancel out bullet drop due to gravity and loss of velocity by shooting directly down...

Have the muzzleloader pointing down from the open door of a hilicopter, how hover at 100 yards above the target and fire away...

The bullet will not loose velocity because of the gravitional pull on it and there is no bullet drop because you'd be a shooting at a 180 degree angle...

Simple... :bull:

I didn't bring my chronograph yesterday but, I could definitely tell the 45 gr. load was subsonic.

I fired my GPR around 30 time yesterday . The elevation for each powder charge was consistent throughout. Because of that I went ahead and ground .034th off of my front site that'll bring my elevation exactly three inches at 50 yards with the 45 gr. load

roaddog:

I almost willing to bet that if you were to make a copy of this target (1:1 ratio) and bring your charge up to 55-58 grains thereabouts, and shoot at the copy at the same distance, the groupe will raise 1 1/8 inch, or right between the two photocopied groups...

If this be true, then by raising the charge to 95 grains should raise the group 2 1/4 inches above the original photocopied groups...

Then shoot the 95 grain load at a fresh target 100 yards away and then you can calculate the the bullet drop by the known drop ratio of the 50 yard target times two...

If it shoots 2 1/4 inches low at 50 yards, it should be 4 1/2 inches low at 100 yards at the 45 grain load...

If it keeps going up as you add powder, how much powder will you have to stuff in to get it to shoot behind you? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I wonder how much more Hog I would'a won if'n I had read this here thread before the shoot?????

Regards, sse

P.S. Don't worry, I did git some hog.

Back