• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Advice for beginners

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolfbane

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I am contemplating moving into flintlocks. Are there any tips or advice (such as "Don't do it!") that people have on:

- a good rifle for a newbie
- traps for newbies
- advice on learning how to shoot them well

Thanks in advance :hatsoff:

Hi,
One thing you may have difficulty with, is getting "REAL" black powder.
Flintlocks do not work well with anything else.
A very good flint beginner, is the LYMAN GPR. They work!
The Lyman kits are affordable, and fun & easy to build
Custom rifles a great, but pricey for a beginner.
How is your supply of flint?
I hope this helps, and I'm sure others will add valuable comments
Old Ford

I will second what Old Ford said about the GPR for all the reasons he mentioned.

For flints I have had the best luck with Black English or French Amber. I haven't tried them yet but I have heard nothing but good about Rich Pierce's flints. I have not had good luck with the cut agate flints. They don't knapp well and tend to tear up some frizzens.

As for shooting, you just need to get used to the flash going off in front of your face and use "follow through" religiously.

To get used to the flash, go into the backyard and fill the pan on an empty rifle, shoulder the rifle and set the pan off. Focus on the sights and hold an aiming point while the pan is going off. Do it until you get to the point where you don't really notice the pan going off.

The next step is to go to the range and practice, practice, practice. You will get to the point where you don't really notice when the pan goes off.

As for the GPR and almost all production guns, the touch hole is too small. Open it up to 1/16" or use a #50 or #51 wire gauge drill. That will greatly reduce the number of misfires you will have.

Have fun. You are flirting with an addiction that has infected me for 30 years.

Run Away!

You will find yourself selling those modern guns you worked so hard to get.

You will start looking for pieces of flint out in the woods.

Your friends will look at you strange when you talk about a great day where you were shooting long range at the 50 yard marker. And a heavy day of shooting is 30 shots.

Thanks,
Foster From Flint

i agree with the consensus. a Lyman Great Plains Rifle (or a Thompson Center) will serve you well for the rest of your lifetime and that of your children and posibly grandchildren if given proper care. i personally prefer the Thompson Center for their unbeatable lifetime warranty (the life of the rifle, not the user) and this is routinely a no- questions- asked- just- send- it- in matter. had a computer printer go bad and they wanted me to return it in the original packaging (like i keep that junk in my basement??) i'd buy another T/C in a trice, but another Dell?! surely you jest... well, enough on that tirade...

whichever rifle you pick, see if you can get a spare frizzen or two, and a boatload of flints (after, of course, trying a small batch to see if your particular rifle likes them) i've had good luck with the black english type from Mr. Fuller. the french amber ones work well, too, but they're really expensive and although they do look pretty cool, i don't think they spark any better than the english ones.

as regards powder, if you shoot flint, you're pretty much stuck with shooting real black powder, as opposed to the substitute stuff such as pyrodex. that's not such a bad thig, since the subs aren't as stable, don't work as well, and cost more in the first place.

they work OK in percussion actions, where the cap gets them hot enough to ignite, but they don't work reliably in flint.

why would anyone buy them? 'cause they're "NEW AND IMPROVED" and you'll always be able to find someone will to plonk their hard earned, overtaxed money if you shout 'new and improved' loud enough. since you contemplate becomming a rockbanger, it is evident that you are smarter than the average fellow and thus less likely to fall for the 'new and improved' trick. Real BP keeps forever, is (if kept dry) stable forever, and is more easily ignited than the subs. Try to get as much as you can in order to avoid politically motivated restrictions on anything that they can get the general populace to believe is "bad" in order to remain in power.

as regards the ball/patch combination, i would recommend that you get a copy of Dutch Schoultz' treatise on accuracy, and try his system. unlike a bunch of people with a bunch of letters after their names who propound a bunch of cool sounding theories, Mr. Schoultz has no letters after his name and his method works better than just about anything else out there. another point for the empiricist crowd! hooray for us: don't tell me how great it's going to be, just show me how to do it right in the first place!

the practice tip is well made: shooting a flintlock is a whole different deal than shooting even a very accurate centire- fire rifle. hold through is (by comparison) nearly eternal, and just as essential. by the way, i don't think you need to prime the pan with 4F... most of the folks who've been shooting flint for a while will tell you that they get pretty much the same result using the same powder for main charge and prime. and that leads to the final bit of advice:

try out a bit and see what works in your particular rifle. most of the advice you get will suffuce for a fair starting point, but flintlocks (even more so than other rifles) have very strong likes and dislikes, and a good bit of the fun is finding out what makes your particular rifle shoot straightest.

good luck, and make good smoke!

Go with the Lyman GPR. They are as close to period correct as possible for a production gun and they are excellent shooters!

Yup good advice.

To answer your question---DO IT!

It is more fun than you can ever imagine! Just take the sage advice to use ONLY REAL BLACK powder. No triple poop or whatever the substritutes are called.

I own a number of flintlocks now and have been slowly selling off my 'modern stuff'.

I started with the Lyman Trade Rifle in 54 cal and I really, really like the gun but the Lyman GPR is a bit more period correct and many guys as you may have already gleaned really like it too. My thoughts are: you can't go wrong with either gun. It is more a matter of YOUR PREFERENCE in such things as barrel length, cost, or how period correct you want to be to start off.

As far as advice on shooting it well---Gee, I would say just slow down and just focus on your front sight, like you would do with any (non-scoped) rifle.

I have a Lyman GPR Flinter and can tell you it shoots awesome. I did however have to drill the flashhole larger as mentioned above. I use Geox fffg to prime and for the main charge. For flint I gave up on the cut agates and use only Rich Pierce flints. I haven't tried the English or French flints so cant comment on them.

ROB

Uncle Pig said:
Run Away!

Your friends will look at you strange when you talk about a great day where you were shooting long range at the 50 yard marker. And a heavy day of shooting is 30 shots.

Thanks,
Foster From Flint

ahh... good times,

oh.....Pyrodex-DONT....mind you thats my opinion.

I built a .54 GPR flint kit a couple of years ago. It went together very easy and quick. It is a very rugged, straight shooter. I also had to drill the vent liner. First to 1/16th", but still had some ignition issues. I then drilled it to 5/64th" and now she shoots first time, everytime. You can't beat the price. Here are a couple of places to check: http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/ and http://www.dnrsports.com/ . To answer one of your questions..what took you so long? Get hold of Rich on the forum here about some flints. The GPR takes 3/4" square flints. Now get that flinter and go shooting :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
You would be better off buying a decent "semi-custom" gun..
Then a GPR or a Thompson center.Plus there are lots of handmade/from a kit/ rifles available.
The reason???
The very essence of flintlocks is their "uniqueness"
A handmade/assembled for the PC crowd/ rifle is what flintlocks are all about.
Not a modern factory made weapon with incorrect internals.
Coiled springs and CNC shaped wood.
You might pay a few dollars more up front, but you will be happier with it in the long run. JHMO

By all means, go for it! What are your intended uses for the rifle? Do you want a quality historically accurate piece or will a mass produced gun work for you? Some of the rifles suggested tend to be on the heavy side and are imports. The weight becomes a factor if you are a still hunter or trekker and you may prefer an American built rifle. Another thing--what is your budget range?

I agree with the others on BP. Look around for a local source of real BP before you go flint. You may find that it's easier and cheaper to mail order if you don't already have a local supplier. Your flinter will shoot best with the real stuff.

Do it! Jump in feet first and eyes closed! It's worth it. I'm no expert so I can't offer much in the way of advanced advice, but I can offer a few tidbits. Get a gun with the best lock you can afford. I hear a lot of bad about Traditions flinters, for example. Also, don't try to skimp on flints. Buy the best you can find. I use Fuller English Flints from TOW, but there's a guy on the forum who is making flints that get a lot of compliments. Rich Pierce I think?

Lyman and T/C are both fine rifles in fact all the advise had been good. Do look at TVM or TVA in the links they make fine semi-custom rifles for a little more cash. You might like the looks of them. Look around and see what floats your boat then jump in with both feet. You will not look back.
Fox :thumbsup:

Thanks one and all! :thumbsup: I only use real black powder anyway (never seen pyrodex over here). I have seen a couple of Lyman Great Plains rifles hanging around, but I think they were percussion. Need to ask around for where flintlocks might be found.

If your budget runs to it, a custom or semi-custom is the best way to go. The parts are of much higher quality and the workmanship is too. A used custom can be the bargain of a lifetime. And a cheap flintlock is a sorry thing to have to live with. Customs are often lighter because they are shaped by hand and are fitted and shaped closer than the machine made guns are. Doesn't hurt that they are made by your countrymen, either.

Russ T and Wolfbane speak very wisely. Spend the money, if you can, for a good custom or semi-custom flintlock. They are, in a way that a mass produced flintlock cannot be, the essence of the gun - hand made, meant to be a companion and a friend for life, a work of art and of spirit, one of a kind. You will not regret the expense.

Having said that, if you cannot afford the custom gun, the Lyman and T/C flintlocks are not cheap, problem guns. They are very good shooters and high quality firearms and will give much pleasure over the years.

I have a friend who builds custom percussion rifles. I will have to see whether he runs to flintlock as well.

Latest posts

Back