• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Advice for shaping stock...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beautiful work! Thanks for sharing those pictures. With this projected build I plan on doing something similar to what you have... Yet I'm leaning towards a simple poor boy design with simple hardware.

Thank you.

My advice... If you are going to USE the rifle, put a buttplate on it & a toeplate....... Every one I have seen used ALLOT that didn't have them, ended up with a broken toe. A toe on this style of rifle is very fragile, and you can actually break the toe just by loading a tight combo, if you don't rest the buttplate on a log, foot, etc. You can also break the toe by a 6" vertical drop striking on the toe..... so I put a buttplate & toeplate on ALL of them of this style.

Forget doing the Over-The-Tang feature, it is very delicate & not for the faint of heart. You screw it up & the rifle is ruined & you get to start all over ! Much better Not to have it, than to have it inlet or installed poorly.

It is same thing with carving a rifle before ya learn to build. You learn to build Correctly & efficiently, THEN you practice carving & learn it. Then you apply it to a rifle. Most carve on a rifle before they know how, & many a well built rifle ruined by poor carvings.

Sorry.. :eek:ff

Keith Lisle

The TG came from Tip Curtis & the Buttplate came from Tip, but I modified it & made the return longer. I made the RR pipes, Entrypipe, Nosecap & Toeplate. The Lock is a modified Chambers Late Ketland, and the triggers are modified Davis DST6 trigger asm.
Sometimes I use cast trim I buy, and sometimes I make all of the trim. Right now I am making one in curly Cherry with a GR Douglas barrel, more detailed furniture, & all of it is hand made including the sights.

Keith Lisle

Back