• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Advice needed on a fowler kit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okcaveman

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm really interested in picking up a fowler kit. Ive been looking at the early fullstock fowler from pecatonica. Called to place the order, and it seems they only have octagon to round that doesn't taper. Would I regret a .62 that is straight on the flats and the round?
Would I be better suited with something like the colerain American fowler swampled barrel?

Id mostly be squirrel/rabbit/turkey hunting with this, with some dove and deer hunting thrown in.

Also, to make a kit more difficult, I need a lefty...

Any advice appreciated!

In a fowler type you need a half round. For a straight .62 would be better for a smooth rifle. Although these too are known with half rounds.
Today you can find long rifles with one inch to inch and a quarter in small caliber such as .36. So to a modern eye it looks silly to see such a big barrel with a tiny bore. Our ancestors don’t seem to have been as upset over weight.

Just an aside, many Fowling pieces back in the day were in six pound range. However we have had more then one ol’boy on this forum who hunts small game with a bess that’s pretty heavy.

As it turns out, they did have what I wanted (colerain American fowler barrel). The first person I talked with told me wrong. Pretty sure we got everything taken care of now

Back