• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Advice needed on sidelock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fitz

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello. I am looking at a used muzzleloader at a local gun shop. I have searched and searched and haven't found any information or opinion on it. It is a .54 caliber Thompson White Mountain Carbine. Can someone give me some more information on this muzzleloader and possibly an opinion from experience. Thanks for the help.

Mark

Fitz,
you don't say but what are you are intending
to do with this .54 and if you are getting a good deal
on it.
snake-eyes :peace: :) :thumbsup:

Hello Snake-eyes. I plan on using it for deer hunting and possibly elk. I don't know if it is a good deal or not. It is in pristine condition. They are asking 180 but I'm sure I could get them down to at least 160. I can't find info on these anywhere on the internet so I don't know what the original price was. Thanks for the reply.

Mark

If I remember the White Mountain Rifle had a 21" barrel. I do know they sell a faster twist barrel for it (1-28) through Green Mountian Barrel Company (last time I looked). If you could get the rifle down to $160.00 that would be a good buy.

They would make an excellent shooting rifle in the woods. And with that caliber it would sure have the power you want to get the job done.

The best thing of course if the Thompson Center warranty and service....

I have a one in a 50 cal. 160.00 would be a great price on one in pristine condition. I have mine for sale and it is in hunted with condition and I am asking 160 for it. If you get the 54 and would rather have a 50 barrel for it or would like to have a second barrel for it in 50 let me know. I would consider selling just the barrel or trading for a 54 if you are interested. They are very accurate little guns and very easy to moove through the thick stuff with. :imo:

Thanks for all the info guys. Just to let you know I didn't go with the White Mountain Carbine. I found a nib .50 Thompson Black Mountain Magnum for only $149.00. I am real pleased with the purchase. Thanks again for all the replys.

Mark

Back