• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Advice requested (I know, big mistake but here goes!)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
OK, many of you read my range report and some of the comments have been helpful. However, as I obviously got it wrong the last time I took the C&B revolver out, I want to request details on loading, and firing. While I have experience with BP weapons, I have not even attempted to fire my, or any C&B revolver in so long quite frankly I had to DL the manual to find a safe charge of Pyro to use. I thought I could wing it and remember the details, and I'm sure I can be safe. But I also want to be successful; I wasn't last time...

So, before I get advice I would like to be specific. I have to use what I have available, so no wads and no Goex.
I have the following:
Powder: Pyrodex P
Shot: hand cast .375 RB
Filler: Cream of Wheat or Corn meal is available, prefer to use corn meal unless advised against it.
Lube: Home brew 1 part Beeswax 3 parts Peanut oil; can be modified as needed provided I have the components.

I will try to use what I read as best I can and report the results over the next several weeks. Don't be insulted if your specifics aren't used, as I know there will be several methods given. I will go with whats easiest, provided its reportedly reliable.

OK fire away!

I use Pyrodex exclusively in my revolvers with good results. I don't think you said what kind of revolver you had. Is it steel or brass framed? In my steel framed colt .36 I load any where between 20 and 25 grains of Pyro P. In my Remington .36 I have loaded up to 28 grains of Pyro P. In my Brass guns I load between 15 to 18 of P. I had my Remington out at the range today and loaded 22 grains of Pyro P under a 130 grain Lee conical. Average velocity was 921 ft/sec with an energy of 245ft/lbs. Pretty potent for that old fashioned small bore.

Don

In that case then 20 to 25 grains of powder ought to do fine. I never use filler. Would if I was competing but I don't compete.

Don

I use 25 grains (by volume) of Goex, then a card, then some cereal, then a felt wad, followed by a roundball and some grease.

If you don't have cards or wads, i'd forego the cereal filler and just go with powder. I've used Pyro in C&B revolvers before, but i can't remember the loading, so I'd check with someone who uses Pyro- the loads are different from Pyro to Goex.

Don't hesitate to tinker with it and see what works best for your particular revolver.

(by the way, if you buy an arch punch, you can make your own cards and wads, which makes things much more fun.)

just one guy's opinion, and no doubt worth what you just paid ...

good luck with your project: make good smoke!

MSW said:
(by the way, if you buy an arch punch, you can make your own cards and wads, which makes things much more fun.)

So, where could one obtain one of these punches and about how much do they generally run? I have plenty of card material laying around in the form of cereal and pasta boxes so that could work..

please excuse my brain cramp ... i got mine from a garage sale, but Track of the Wolf has them ...
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/243/1/WAD-PUNCH-45

they run about twenty five dollars if i remember correctly. the Harbor Freight ones are much less expensive, but i'm unsure as to the exact size.

Also, the style of the Harbor Freight ones is different from the arch punch sold by Track; i don't know if the card would be deformed coming out of the holes in the Harbor Freight designs or not, but the ones out of the arch punch come out clean and flat.

you need not be too terribly fussy about the size, so long as the wad or card will fit snug into the cylinder.

hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
there's a fellow member of this site... ohio ramrod .. that make wad punches, ramrods and an assortment of other items. You may want to look up his email addy under the members section, or send him a PM and ask ... I understand his prices are very reasonable.

WG

3/8" is .375". seems to work find for me, though you might try 7/16" also. The harbor freight punches work fine. 8)

check w/ www.durofelt.com. 1 sheet of their 1/8" hard felt is very nearly a lifetime supply.

If I'm going to use a filler, I just use unlubed wads. And Pyrodex wants very nearly every ounce of ramming pressure you can muster. I mean just short of bending the rammer. Hodgon recommends 80 lbs of pressure.

My Uberti's like .375" balls, and my Pietta '61 likes .380".

You have the prettiest, best C&B revolver made, until the advent of the ROA. And one of the most accurate. Mine will stay right with my K-38 when loaded w/ Goex FFg.

AlanA said:
You have the prettiest, best C&B revolver made, until the advent of the ROA.

Maybe in the factory finished ones, but mine was assembled by an impatient impertinent young man of about 19. He was in too much of a hurry to shoot it to do it right, and is just now (23 years later or so) getting around to deciding to take her down and redo her as she deserves... Soon as I can afford the materials (good bluing chemicals, steel wool, sand paper and polishing compound) I intend to make her pretty but for now she looks like she was assembled and blued unfinished, because she was. The only thing I did right was the grips.

I want to apologize for the title of this thread. Given the fact that there are many many opinions and no one is wrong I expected multiple differing answers. Additionally, I was in a rather sarcastic mood.

Upon reflection, I can see that it may have been taken wrong, and insulting to you here who are in some cases bona fide experts in this area, (if any one truly can be).

So, the long and short of it is I am sorry if anyone took the title wrong, I didn't mean it to be insulting.

If you should want OP cards or wads, you can order a custom made punch of your own specifications from a man who uses the name "ohio ramrod" on this forum. His name is Don Weimer and his email is [email protected] I think he charges around $10 for one. I have one and it is a dandy. Then you can use posterboard from Wal-Mart or empty cereal boxes for making cards and you can order pure wool felt from a place called Duro-Felt at www.durofelt.com. They have many different densities and thicknesses of felt. Just butter a piece of felt with your lube of choice, microwave it for a minute or so to melt in the lube and then punch your OP wads. MUCH cheaper than buying OP wads or cards.

I'd say a good load would be about 25 gr. by volume of Pyrodex, an OP card, filler of your choice, a lubed felt wad and then your ball.

Back