• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

After Cleaning Question...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quirt Evans

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I've read and re-read the cleaning post a few times and have the actual "cleaning" part down now...but what do you all recommend for "after" cleaning...for storage?

Once I cleaned and dried my rifle...I just lightly lubed a patch with some Oxyoke Wonder Lube and ran it up/down the bore and then wiped down the exterior...I didn't want to use 'traditional' oil or BreakFree or anything else and that is all I had.

Is this acceptable or should I do something else?

I know alot of guys don't like it, but my favorite is good ol' wd-40. spray liberaly inside & out, swab bore & wipe down the outside. done!
been using it for years and store my guns in the basement, never have rust.

Well, that certainly is an option...how do you clean it up before you shoot? Does wiping the bore with a dry patch remove it adequately?

I assume you just pop a cap or two and it burns it up inside the nipple.

~Q

yup, just pop a cap & your ready. I store the guns horizontaly, bore tipped down slightly so residual oil doesn't collect in the breech. wd40 seems to be light enough to not cause a contamination problem.

hot soapy water then a patch or two to dry the wd40 come back 2-3 days later run a patch with wd40 through barrel. never had a problem with rust. just snap a cap before you load. been doing it that way for 20+ years.

i think wd40 works so good is because that is what its name means water displacement formula 40.

Quirt Evans said:
Well, that certainly is an option...how do you clean it up before you shoot? Does wiping the bore with a dry patch remove it adequately?

I assume you just pop a cap or two and it burns it up inside the nipple.

~Q

I store with wd40 also, seems to work well for ME.

Prior to shooting, I wipe the barrel inards with an alcohol soaked patch, allow to air dry, then run a prelubed shooting patch up and down, mostly to verify that my fire channel is open and dry! you can see wet blow out the nipple and/or hear the air being pushed through it. :wink:

I clean with hot water and Murphys Oil Soap, hot water flush, then dry well. One my TC's I use can air to blow the moisture out from around the adjustable rear sight and from between the under lug rail and barrel.

With the barrel still warm I lube the bore with TC Natural Lube, then wipe the outside down with the same. If the gun is being stored for a while I shoot a bit of Ballistol or Olive Oil in the firing channel. Prior to a shoot I flush the firing channel with denatured alcohol to remove the liquid lube.

Quirt Evans said:

Once I cleaned and dried my rifle...I just lightly lubed a patch with some Oxyoke Wonder Lube and ran it up/down the bore and then wiped down the exterior...I didn't want to use 'traditional' oil or BreakFree or anything else and that is all I had.

Is this acceptable or should I do something else?

Run a patch down the barrel in a couple of days and see if you are getting any rust. That will tell you if it is enough.

Over the years I have used a lot of stuff from 10 wgt motor oil, WD-40 and various gun oils. All of them prevented rust which is the primary goal. About two years ago I started using Balistol as a barrel preservative. It also prevents rust but has the added benefit of keeping the barrel cleaner while shooting. Barrels that used to gunk up in 5 or 6 shots will now go all day without a cleaning patch.

I quit using WD-40 20 years ago on anything but squeeking car door hinges. That stuff will give you a false sense of security against rust. It evaporates in a few days and rust begins. Many years ago I used WD-40 on my freshly machined automobile crankshafts and cylinder heads and in a few days the WD-40 was gone and rust began so I quit using it on anything as a rust preventative.

Anyway, I use Ballistol on my P53 Enfield rifle in the bore and on the outside including the brass and stock. I then store the rifle musket in a closet with the barrel down, inside a sail-cloth (canvas) gun sock. Some say a canvas sock is not good for storage but I have never received a satisfactory answer why they are not good for storage. The canvas gun socks are good when you carry the musket in public. I carried my P53 Enfield into a fully occupied resturant while it was inside my canvas gun sock and no one suspected what it was.

Quirt Evans said:
Once I cleaned and dried my rifle...I just lightly lubed a patch with some Oxyoke Wonder Lube and ran it up/down the bore and then wiped down the exterior...
I can't imagine anybody being more of a fan of Wonder lube or Natural Lube 1000 than I am but there are some things to be aware of using it, which you may already know.

NL1000 does not displace water so after cleaning & drying the bore I run a sloppy wet patch of WD40 up and down a couple times then dry patch that out.

Since NL1000 is a paste, it doesn't "run" or "migrate" around like a liquid does...essentially where you put it is where it stays so it's important to use plenty of it. I use extra lube out of a tube to get the lubing patch heavily coated with it, and do that 2-3 times while running the patch up and down the bore to ensure every square inch of the bore gets plastered and squeezed into all the 90* land/groove corners the full length of the bore, so every bit of surface is insulated from the air.

Then before shooting I run a dry patch down & up once before shooting to pull out any excess.

Note: Barrels with a patent breech need an extra step as the patent breech is too small to let the caliber size cleaning jag get down in there...for this I use a small diameter rifle brush (.22/.27/.30cal) brush and wrap the different patches around the bristles for cleaning, drying, and lubing.

When firing black powder you should never use any lube that has any petroleum content. Those lubes have a reaction between the BP charcoal and the petroleum in the lube and will accumulate a thick tar-like substance. That crud will easily stop up a .028" nipple fire hole.

For example, never use Lee Liquid ALOX for BP bullet lube. It is convienient to apply, dries to a nice varnish like covering and does not melt when it is hot but it IS a petroleum product and will foul your rifle.

I clean my rifles with hot water and soap. Dry the barrel real well with clean patches and then wipe the barrel with Knight oil. Knight oil is a very light weight oil, but any light weight oil should work. I wipe the barrel with a patch and alchohol to remove the oil before loading. Works very well!

I too use Balistol and find it great for rust prevention, and for multiple shots. I have never seen a quicker clean up with anything else.

Hey guys this is extremely helpful!

I might try some Ballistol because I cannot get more than two shots out of my barrel without the need to do a quick clean or I cannot hardly get the RB/Patch down the barrel without it getting stuck!

Quirt Evans said:
Hey guys this is extremely helpful!

I might try some Ballistol because I cannot get more than two shots out of my barrel without the need to do a quick clean or I cannot hardly get the RB/Patch down the barrel without it getting stuck!
Yeah, that's no good...you should be able to shoot a 50 shot range session without ever wiping between shots...for the most part lube and humidity dictate that.

Natural Lube 1000 is fine as long as humidity is 60% or higher, but you'll need a wetter patch during times of low humidity...I use NL during the spring/summer here in NC, then Hoppes No9 PLUS BP during the winter months

I use the hot water and soap method usually in the kitchen sink. My wife usually shoots me one of the looks but ,she knows I am gonna do it anyway! :grin:
When I get done with that, I dry everything down including the bore using dry patches and then all the metal parts get a coat of gun-oil, and the excess is wiped down leaving just a thin film. The bore gets the same treatment.
When I store my rifle its stored in a horizontal position. I always patch barrel clean before reloading. Never had a problem.

I have used a 50/50 mix of 2-stroke motor oil and kerosene to keep my guns rust free for years. I have never seen any tar in the barrels and I can shoot 30 or 40 rounds without having to run a patch down the barrel.

I did have a problem with Brakefree that some of my friends recommended. It messed up the accuracy something awful until I finally got the barrel cleaned out. That took three months of shooting and cleaning before the barrel finally got to shooting where it should.

Many Klatch

Quirt:

Even though each person probably cleans and lubes their rifles for storage differently the end result may be same.

However, since I am a fanatic about a super clean, highly polished bore here's what I do, after cleaning for storage I swab the bore with a lubed patch(your choice of lube) once a day for a week, once a week for a month and once a month until I hunt again.

Osage

Back