• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

After the shot...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
As I've posted before, 99% of all deer I take I give away to needy families, and they are as a whole deer, just like I dragged it out of the woods...but on a rare occasion, I'll field dress one for delivery to someone as a favor for them...and when I do I use disposable vinyl gloves.

I carry two pairs of regular disposable vinyl gloves, and two pairs of the full arm length variety that keep shirt sleeves clean...they weigh nothing and take up virtually no space in the vest.

When done, they all get stuffed inside one glove and rolled up into a small clean package to slip back in my vest for carry out of the woods.

Keeps me & my clothes clean plus I get a little peace of mind, given all the strange diseases that we hear more about among the deer population.

Was wondering what others do when field cleaning a deer?

I got a pack of those a few years back in my Christmas stocking; the latex gloves and the full-arm "vet" covers. I must admit, I've used a new pack every time since. It sure makes clean up easier afterwards. I carry two plastic shopping bags and put the heart/liver inside one, then the used gloves & that bag inside the other, then it all goes into the haversack for the drag out.

Not "correct" for sure, but it saves having to[url] h.peroxide[/url] the blaze orange to remove the blood stains. :haha:

The packs I had this year had an included organ bag (with cleaning instructions :haha: ) and I never did get it open. :confused: I think it was a bag, anyhow. :haha: Had a dried up alcohol wipe also. I :)redface: this is embarrasing :redface: ) have also taken to carrying a . . . a . . . a packet of baby wipes. They come in a thin, resealable pack and make clean up a breeze. Better than hemlock bark or dried leaves for your back-side, too. :redface:

Years ago I got a supply of hospital grade organ bags from Paul Brunner (the 8th Dwarf :grin: ) of Screaming Eagle. These were GREAT for the heart and liver. Thick and tough with no leaks. Sadly, no longer available (at least not through him/them).

Last edited by a moderator:
I usually cuss for forgetting the latex gloves and just go for it, then wipe my hands off on my pants or hunting partners jacket. :rotf:

KyFlintlock said:
I usually cuss for forgetting the latex gloves and just go for it, then wipe my hands off on my pants or hunting partners jacket. :rotf:

:rotf:

I'm not all that fussy. Every deer I've field dressed has been done the same way....I simply go to work on it. If my coat gets blood stains on it...so be it. Don't wear gloves or carry any wipes. If I do wipe my hands it is on my pants. After all, they are hunting clothes. It is kinda amuzing though to go into a restaurant on the way back home...but then I get a kick out of getting any anti's undies in a bundle.

Stumpkiller said:
I :)redface: this is embarrasing :redface: ) have also taken to carrying a . . . a . . . a packet of baby wipes.

No shame in that AT ALL!! I knew Airborne Rangers that carried those for cleanup while out in the field. (unscented of course). I used to laugh at it until I was on a long field patrol. After a week of MREs, I finally needed to have a BM. Someone handed me a pack as I headed out to the bush to dig my cathole. I looked at them like they were nuts, but they said "Trust me." I did, and man was that a little slice of heaven! After a week in Kansas in August with no bath, having at least ONE clean place sure was a blessing!! :rotf:

Stumpkiller,
Check with the Red Cross. They have those bags in their sterile heart/pericardium harvest kits.
Black Hand

Pork Chop said:
Stumpkiller said:
I :)redface: this is embarrasing :redface: ) have also taken to carrying a . . . a . . . a packet of baby wipes.

No shame in that AT ALL!! I knew Airborne Rangers that carried those for cleanup while out in the field. (unscented of course). I used to laugh at it until I was on a long field patrol. After a week of MREs, I finally needed to have a BM. Someone handed me a pack as I headed out to the bush to dig my cathole. I looked at them like they were nuts, but they said "Trust me." I did, and man was that a little slice of heaven! After a week in Kansas in August with no bath, having at least ONE clean place sure was a blessing!! :rotf:

Well if it's good enough for Airborne I will no longer hide my head in shame. :rotf: I just wish they didn't all come in pink pouches. :shake:

A hip flask of single-malt whiskey, a good pipe with tobacco, and a pack of unscented baby wipes. Life's little pleasures that can be carried in a haverasck. :haha: (In honesty, the hip flask does not come deer hunting with me, but when I'm after small game or just on a day hike . . . :winking:)

Here'a another for "After the shot". As soon as I begin preparing to gut the deer I eat a candy bar. I'm not diabetic, but I have found it keeps me from getting so woozy by the time I get the deer to my car. Gives me time to get my head together. I usually shave a bit off as an offering to the deer after I've said my thanks to God. Just a ceremony I find fulfilling. Sometimes I sprinkle tobacco, also.

In my car I know there will be a spare canteen of water and a Nissan stainless vacuum bottle of hot coffee. After the deer is loaded I sit myself down and have a hot cup of coffee before I take to the highway.

Hey, I don't get to hunt near as much as I'd like, but I have found some things to make my life much better.

I'm on with donating Deer and use our Maryland Hunters Feeding the Hungry program. Processing is done by local butcher shops, but you still need to bring in a field dressed carcass.

A few years back I found a surplus source for Butyl Rubber chemical protective suit gloves - cheap. They cover about 2/3rds of my forearm, but would go further for many ( got "monkey arms" ). They're plenty flexible, but still thick enough to be reuseable, and can even resist a glancing skip of the blade. I bag 'em up, wash 'em in the slop sink at home, and hang 'em up to dry for next time. All those disposable gloves wind up somewhere underground ( or worse - underseas ). That doesn't mean I don't toss others that get contaminated with dirty grease or ag chemicals - but I'm tryin'.

Anyhow, I've always found it amazing where you find tiny bits of offal later on if you don't stay clean up front. I'd rather use gloves and attempt to contain my mess than try to cure myself of the mindless fumbling with my kit that must be behind that phenomenon.

Roundball, I dress my deer the same way as you. As a matter of fact I stopped at Gander Mountain today and bought 4pr. of them shoulder length gloves. For .99 a pr. I can't clean up my hunting clothes.I also use them surgical gloves under these long gloves. The long gloves are pretty weak and tear easily. I like looking like the deer lost and I won the battle then the other way around. I always have drinking water with me that doubles for hand washing.

Dave K said:
I also use them surgical gloves under these long gloves. The long gloves are pretty weak and tear easily.
Same way I do it too

I always have drinking water with me that doubles for hand washing.
Keep a box in the truck with a couple gallon jugs of water...rinse out the cavity, etc

I have a friend who lost an uncle to tularemia from a rabbit and he is a little paranoid about not getting infected. He makes his living investigating little bugs that can kill you. Gloves can give you some peace of mind when you have scratches on your hands and don't want to practice body fluid transfer with a deer.

That said I have never used gloves and wipe my hands off on the dirt and leaves or snow. If I have spare water I'll rinse with that.

My son has always been picky about what he allows to dirty his hands. He hasn't killed his a deer yet but I walked him thru field dressing on the last deer we got. He did a good job but made me laugh when he said: "You know if I do about 10 more of these I may just get used to getting my hands bloody." He loves to hunt so there's hope for him yet :) GC

i take my jacket off and roll my shirt up high to keep it out of any blood....like alot of others i have water ready at the car and have a quart with me fer drinking and or cleaning when needed...............bob

I guess I'm sorta the cave man type!
I never use anything except bare hands when gutting a animal.
Ok ok --I do use a knife :shake:
This year after gutting a deer (I use elictrical tape to attach the tag with)
I cut my thumb cutting the tape :shake:
My hands were covered in deer blood,
soooo, not wanting to mix my blood with the deers I sucked a couple times on my thumb to keep the blood flowing enough to clean it out good.
My son :shocked2: :shocked2: :shocked2: couldn't believe I stuck my thumb in my mouth with the deer blood on it.
So I told him that it's only a deer till we kill it.
Then it's food :winking:
BTW My son got his first deer this year :applause: and he did good helping as I showed him how to gut it ( till the thumb deal :shocked2: )

Back