• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Agate Flints

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chipper c

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Being new to the flintlock I was staying with the German agate flints that came with my trade rifle,finding that they do not seem to last very long I Tried some English flints and man these flints don't miss a beat, they are sparking reliably way longer then the agate. But now that I had stocked up on the agate flints I Will be using them until they are gone. Then the English flints will be the ticket. Questions :confused:1 Can the German agate flints be resharpen 2 Why are they the most expensive 3 what about French amber flints? Thank You for your info. :)

chipper c said:
Can the German agate flints be resharpened?
Yes, most commonly with a coarse diamond lap (be sure to use it wet) or with some coarse synthetic stones. Some folks use a Dremel-type tool with a diamond or mizzy wheel.

Regards,
Joel

I am interested in responses also. I stocked up on cut agate when I bought my GPR, but got in an order of English and French flints yesterday. Just sparking in an empty pan I don't see much difference yet. Can't wait to see how they fair at the range tomorrow.

chipper c said:
Being new to the flintlock I was staying with the German agate flints that came with my trade rifle,finding that they do not seem to last very long I Tried some English flints and man these flints don't miss a beat, they are sparking reliably way longer then the agate. But now that I had stocked up on the agate flints I Will be using them until they are gone. Then the English flints will be the ticket. Questions :confused:1 Can the German agate flints be resharpen 2 Why are they the most expensive 3 what about French amber flints? Thank You for your info. :)

I used, and still do, German cut flints in one rifle for many years with great success. They lasted me so long they almost became a permanent part of the rifle. Actually, they are not all agate and that term is over used.
Many have less than happy experience with cut flints. I suspect the usual villans are at work here. Like lock geometry, angle of strike, hardness of frizzen, etc.
I have not had success sharpening the German cut flints regardless of what rock they are made of. I do sharpen English flints with knapping and diamond wheels under power. Can't answer why the cut are so difficult I would like to put some back into use.
I think just the manufacturing process drives up the cost.
Personally, I have never used a French amber.

While the cut stones appeal to some folks and seem to work in some rifles, I am not a fan of them for the very reason that you cite. They just never lasted worth a dang for me. I do not buy them anymore. I have never tried to re-sharpen them because I had no way to do it and since they didn't last anyway, I saw no reason to re-sharpen them. The English and French flints are really good flints. In fact, I will go so far as to say to say that in my estimation, you can't get a better flint.......just my honest opinion. However, I also think the French flints are too expensive. They seem to me to be no better than the good English flints but cost a good bit more. Stick with English flints and you will be happy. :thumbsup:

Back