• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

age patina on brass butt plate

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Don't like the looks of bright brass on my plains rifle. Furniture is iron except for butt, toe plate.
Could leave it out in this Florida sun and rain but bet some of you fellers have better ideas.

If you are shooting real black powder, just use the first wet cleaning patch you run down the bore when cleaning your rifle to wipe down the brass.

The wet burnt black powder residue on the patch will darken the brass and give it an antique look. Plus it's free!

SC45-70

Birchwood Casey brass black. Rub it on and 0000 steel wool to desired look. Regular cold bluing will work too. Use same method.

When you start make sure you clean any lacquer off the brass. Acetone or thinners on cloth.Otherwise it only works where the lacquer has rubbed off and looks very patchy. (of course polishing the brass with abrasive polish like Brasso should do it too.

I agree with the black powder fouling cleaning patch idea. Just rub it all over the brass lightly and continue cleaning your rifle. It won't work instantly but it will work. Second option is remove brass from the rifle and cover with wet cow manure for a few days. If you go the second route I would advise you to do outside................watch yer top knot..............

sc45-70 said:
If you are shooting real black powder, just use the first wet cleaning patch you run down the bore when cleaning your rifle to wipe down the brass.

The wet burnt black powder residue on the patch will darken the brass and give it an antique look. Plus it's free!

SC45-70

Yep, but wet with spit, works better. Give you that old, used, grungy look we all love very quickly.

Another way to "age" brass is to hang it in a jar or pitcher with some household ammonia in the bottom.

The parts must not touch the liquid. Rather they should be hung so they are where the fumes can circulate around them.
Of course, this means a lid of some sort (aluminum foil?) will be needed to keep the fumes inside.

This method will work nicely but it should never be used on a brass or bronze part that might be stressed.
The process tends to make micro-cracks in the metal and although these cannot be seen with the unaided eye they have been known to cause a stressed part to crack.

If none of those work for you try your own urine, as for me I use brasso every now and then . :haha: :thumbsup:

I saw something somewhere that said civil war era soldiers used urine to shine their brass buttons. If this is true it would not help to age your brass.............watch yer top knot.............

Latest posts

Back