• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

black powder pellets

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a fair number of 50 caliber pellets. Are they safe to shoot in 54 caliber barrels? I typically shoot about 85 grains FFF in my Lymans, so I'd still have to use loose powder to get 85 grains.

I was given 30gr pellets for a revolver. Tried some in my Remington NMA and they looked like tracers. I tried them with a wad and they did a little better. Tried two wads and I could feel and hear them crush. They did good that time. So apparently crushing them works best. I don't use them anymore. I save them for a campfire. They don't do much but they grab attention 🤣

I have a fair number of 50 caliber pellets. Are they safe to shoot in 54 caliber barrels? I typically shoot about 85 grains FFF in my Lymans, so I'd still have to use loose powder to get 85 grains.
The friend who left me the .54 GPR would use 15-30gr of loose and a .50/50 pellet (or 2). He was happy with those combos.
T7 pellets with a 3F kicker is entertaining.
Pyrodrek pellets with a 3F kicker shoot alright, but stink and can be tricky to clean.

He shot his .50 TC Hawken with 35gr loose, a .50/50 pellet, and a .429 jhp modern pistol bullet in a sabot. He was happy with it until I dug out a dry rotted bag of chalky .490 round balls and out shot him. Those .490s were probably 140 years old… Belonged to my wife’s g-g-grandfather, a Confederate veteran born in the 1840s.

Latest posts

Back