• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Aint I the woods man

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
:rotf: So I'm out in the woods today, on a day trek. I round a bend and there stands a doe. I'm not hunting as the freazer is full. So I just watch her She bounds up a bank and turns broadside to me. She is about 30 yards away. I would have taken a shot and had bambi for dinner. Then I saw she had a friend, also broad side to me. I watched them for a moment. The second one watched me and when I wasn't moving started to feed. The first one kept her eyes on me. I took off my hat and started to wave it slowly. On the down stroke I would take a step about 45 degrees to her. After 5 slow steps I walked in a line straight back to between where I started and her. Waving my hat slowly stepping slowly. Every now and then her friend would look up, and I would stop moving, but kept my hat in its slow waving. Again I walked at a 45 to her and again back to my in line. Now I'm closer then 20 yards. I stop and she starts to stomp. She takes two or three steps towards me stomping several times. Then she takes the better part of valor and high tails it up the side of the branch. I had been feeling proud of my self. In a few minuets I had closed my range on a deer by ten yards. At 30 yards my fusil would have turned her in to et tu fe, at less then 20 even I wouldn't have missed.
So I was feeling quit the woodsman, my own inner Boone coming through. Yup that was me :grin: until she bounded up the hill. Her friend bounded with her, along with 2,3 and 4 who were all around her that I with my super woods men skill never saw, never knew they were there until they began to bound. If'n they was injuns and I wernt bald my hair would be hanging on apole tonight :rotf:

Thanks, I like the hat waving trick, have to remember it. 10-15 years ago I was hunting, sitting with my back against a tree, dozed off (as usual), woke up, glanced around, looked at my watch (it was 10:30am), decided to go get lunch, stood up and about 8 does took off in all directions, tails up. Great fun we have in the woods.

Several years ago I put a stalk on to intercept a small doe as she came in off a field.Started out at what was probably about 100 yards and got to within about 20 or so. Lots of brush and scrub and was just as proud as could be. Raised my rifle and that movement caused a flock of about 50 turkeys to blow up. I had managed tomstalk my way right into the middle of them. By the time those birds blew up and cleared the ground, I almost needed new drawers and someone to restart my heart!

Yep, I also am blessed with superior woodsman powers. I sat on a small ledge along a gametrail one morning. I knew there'd be deer along it sooner or later. Wasn't long before I heard them coming, sneaking along in the leaves. "rustle, rustle, rustle " waiting... More rustling.

This went on for quite some time as my woodsman ears and eyes strained to pinpoint the exact source of the rustling. Then for some reason I looked down just in time to see a large black snake about to make his way up my trouser leg!

Know zackly what you mean. Used to be fairly serious about wildlife photography.

Can't tell you how many times I'd get back home, all proud of myself for getting a great shot. Sometimes hours, sometimes months later I'd spot extra deer in the photo that I never saw while shooting.

It is called tunnel vision, a term I learned with 40 years of being a LEO. You guard against as best you can, whether doing a building search or hunting bambi. I once walked off into a flock of 45+ turkeys in a laurel patch in North Carolina, and didn't see them until they exploded around me. I have also walked into the middle of a covey of quail, so close that one or two of them bumped into me as they flew off. What is the difference between a covey and a bevy? robin :wink:

Went out to the coop tonight to feed, water and collect the eggs, on the way back up the hill to the house 5 deer walked up the brook looked at me and just kept walking knowing they were safe today.

Life is great this joyous time of year.

No real difference between a bevy and covey, except some folks are of the opinion that birds that flock to rest or sleep in a circle pattern (a la quail) cause their bevy to form a covey. Others say that a bevy becomes a covey when the birds rest or hold in a stationary position.... no formation needed....

LD

Back