• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Alabama longbeard

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So far its been a terrible spring for hearing birds but they have finally decided to act like gobblers should. Heard this bird several time at first light but as I closed the distance I could hear hens close to him so since he was the only one I heard I simply stuck around and didnt push him but just stayed within earshot of him and his ladies. He would gobble once about every 30 mins or so but finally he started up fairly well about 1:45 and at 2:00 he could'nt resist anymore and came in strutting and drumming. I let him get to 30 yrds and let Achilles do what he was built to do. He went down and is in the freezer for being so romantic. He weighed 18 lbs had a 10 inch thick beard and 1 inch spurs. Its the first bird for the new smoothbore I built last fall/winter which I named Achilles. The load this 12 ga likes is 100 gr of Fg followed by a wonderwad and a 1/8th thick cardboard overpowder wad then 110 gr of copperplated #4s topped off with a thin overshot card. Good luck to all of yall this season :thumbsup: :hatsoff:
Achillesfirstlongbeard001_zpscc2711d9.jpg

Great looking bird and looks like the 12 gauge did the trick. I have been waiting to see you post a picture of a bird. I haven't got one in range yet.

Good on ya Wattles...I think patience is one of the best things a turkey hunter can have in the arsenal...and you obviously built your smoothbore right...congratulations !
:hatsoff:

Nice! That's a heck of a long beard on that bird! Great picture as well. Geo. T.

Nice bird. I found my gun liked about the same load as yours with over 4 shot cards over the powder and #6 shot.

I have some #4 to try but am in hunting mode now.

Going to Freedom Hills mgt area in the morning.

Pretty cool. I think I'm going to add a woven sling like your fowler has. I lugged mine around for several days in Tennessee and it certainly wasn't horrible but I think it would have been an even more pleasant hunt with a sling.

Congratulations on the bird.

Waidmannsheil! :hatsoff:

A very nice picture - perfect combination!

Silex

good on ya,goofed on another bird last week (boy is that putting it mildly) :cursing: :redface: But will be back out over the weekend,Pretty SB gun :thumbsup:

Congrats!! :thumbsup:

In my neck of the woods the birds are stil quiet! Season starts on Monday!! We got a dusting of snow yeaterday over most of my Turkey woods so they have not turned romantic yet!

Its supposed to warm up next week!!

Love that gun! I'm putting the finishing touches on mine right now and with any luck I'll have a turkey load worked up by my opener on the 25th.
Mine's a lefty with a short 26" barrel in 16 gauge. May I ask what the barrel length is on yours? Looks like a short one too.

Back