• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Alamo Flag Found

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john s mosby

45 Cal.
Reaction score
There was an article in the Lancaster Paper this morning. Seems a reporter from the Dallas Morning News recently found the only surviving Alamo flag at Mexico's National History Museum.
Texas officals tried to get it back a decade ago but the Mexicans said they lost it. The article says "it now rests in a glass case alongside 19th centry rifles. The once blue retangle of silk has faded to dirty white, but the gold fringe is intact and an eagle still spreads over the words, God And Liberty".
The article goes on to say Santa Anna send the flag back to Mexico with a message that would "show the true intentions of the treacherous colonists from parts of the United Sates of the North".
Texas officals are trying to work out a deal with the Mexican goverment to get the flag back.
The article doesn't say if the 19th centry rifles in the case with the flag came from the Alamo too.
It'll be really great if they get it back.

I thought this artice was really interesting so I wanted to share it.

Maybe we could work up a trade... We could send back Santa Ana's leg in exchange for the flag. I read somewhere that it is in the Illinois State Military Museum.

I really like the leg idea. I can picture that glass case with the leg of a Mexican hero on display in it. "Our hero.....".

I think Texas ought'a git the Alamo Flag back,.... 'cause legally I don't think the Mexican Museum has a "leg to stand on"!! :imo:

YMHS
rollingb

Based on the population growth of Mexicans in the southern states...I don't think there are any Mexicans left in Mexico!!! We should be able to just walk in and get the flag back. ::

I'm still wondering about the "19th century rifles" in the case with the flag? Could they be Alamo weapons?
Wouldn't that be something if they were returned too?

The article also said Texas Gov. Rick Perry and the Mexican president are working on a deal to return the flag.

Santa Ana's wood leg is in the Illinois State Military Museum in Springfield, Ill. I've seen it there. It's unlikely that Illinois will trade a leg for a flag - especially since they won't get anything in exchange.

Wow. This isn't the 1824 flag most often depicted. Here is a portion from a 2000 article on it:

"In the fall of 1835, two companies of volunteer riflemen crossed Louisiana

I think Texas ought'a git the Alamo Flag back,.... 'cause legally I don't think the Mexican Museum has a "leg to stand on"!! :imo:

RB,
:crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

Lehigh County, where longarms are propa made.

:blah:

I think that we should TAKE it back.

But that's just me. :imo: :m2c: :results:

Texikan

You can go to www.lancasterOnline.com for the article. It was in the Monday, March 7 issue. The article isn't very long.
Maybe you'd find more in the Dallas Morning News where the original article was. The Lancaster article says it was reported by the Dallas paper on Sunday, March 6.
Could there have been two different flags?

Illinois has Santa Ana's leg? How did we get it ? I'd trade it for the flag and a large order of nachos, to go. :crackup:

Yup- We got it, and we're not givin it back, not for a double order of nachos with extra cheese. (At least that's what the article below says...

here's the info...
web page and a snippet:
The News-Gazette (Champaign, Illinois)
March 30, 1998

Santa Anna's leg took a long walk

Gen. Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna could be lucky in war, notably at the Alamo, but he had a problem with food.

He lost his leg in the so-called French Pastry War, fought between France and Mexico in 1838. Then in 1847, facing the United States at the Battle of Cerro Gordo in Mexico, he stopped paying attention to the war long enough to linger over a roast chicken.

His lunch was interrupted by an uninvited regiment of Illinoisans, who ate the general's chicken and carried off his cork leg. Santa Anna hobbled away to fight another day.

It was a huge victory for the 4th Regiment Illinois Volunteers, who also discovered a hoard of gold used to pay Mexican soldiers. It was an even bigger victory for Capt. Robert E. Lee, whose fame led eventually to his command of Confederate forces 15 years later in the Civil War.

:: I had never heard of that. :thumbsup:
Cancel my order of nachos. :nono:
Sorry, Texas. You can't have the leg. Guess you'll just have to get the flag the old fashioned way and invade Mexico. :crackup:

First illegal to smuggle the Alamo flag across the US border gits to stay free! :m2c:

Sorry, Texas. You can't have the leg. Guess you'll just have to get the flag the old fashioned way and invade Mexico. :crackup:
awwwwww maaaaaan agaaaaain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
when are they gonna learn??????????? :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

Looks Like we need to go to war with NEW MEXICO. They are trying to take over part of our land.
Check this out.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,150286,00.html

Based on the population growth of Mexicans in the southern states...I don't think there are any Mexicans left in Mexico!!! We should be able to just walk in and get the flag back. ::

You would have to fight your way through all of the Columbians, Guatemalans and Costa Ricans. They're all moving north.::

We have lots of souvenirs that people would like returned, top of the list are the statues from the top of the Parthenon :eek:

At the weekend I saw a pair of Japanese ML cannon which they built to repel invaders, didn't work cause we invaded and took the cannon. They don't have any examples, so they want them back, :shocking: :crackup:

The enormous Chinese guns built to repel invaders worked, we were repelled with big loss of ships, until we fetched reinforcements and took the cannon... :thumbsup:

Back