• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Alaska Dave in Florida

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello, I'm relatively new to muzzleloading compared to many of you. It was something on my "bucket list" that I started once I retired about 10 years ago. However, I have been busy. I've built four flintlock longrifles and one flintlock pistol. Each one has turned out better than the one before it. I'm not an engraver but I think I'm a pretty fair woodcarver. I enjoy the whole building process but I particularly enjoy the woodwork. All aspects of it, shaping, inletting, carving and finishing. I belong to a sportsman's club locally so I have a range to shoot at but I'm the only flintlock builder/shooter here. I've attended the Alifia Rondevous three times but never competed and Alifia is about three hours away. I also attended workshops at Western Kentucky University by Wallace Gussler and Jim Kibler. While there, I met and had a dinner at Hershell House's home and workshops. I have a serious interest in muzzleloading and early American history. I lived in Alaska for 34 years and hunted, fished and trapped fur the whole time. So I hope to make some contact with builder/shooters nearby with like interests.

Welcome from Fairbanks AK! A build or two is on my list too. Hopefully be some time between getting caught up on other projects and kicking the bucket after I retire. You just need to come back to Alaska. We need more traditional muzzleloader types here. Our muzzleloader club here in Fairbanks kind of died out.

Hello, I'm relatively new to muzzleloading compared to many of you. It was something on my "bucket list" that I started once I retired about 10 years ago. However, I have been busy. I've built four flintlock longrifles and one flintlock pistol. Each one has turned out better than the one before it. I'm not an engraver but I think I'm a pretty fair woodcarver. I enjoy the whole building process but I particularly enjoy the woodwork. All aspects of it, shaping, inletting, carving and finishing. I belong to a sportsman's club locally so I have a range to shoot at but I'm the only flintlock builder/shooter here. I've attended the Alifia Rondevous three times but never competed and Alifia is about three hours away. I also attended workshops at Western Kentucky University by Wallace Gussler and Jim Kibler. While there, I met and had a dinner at Hershell House's home and workshops. I have a serious interest in muzzleloading and early American history. I lived in Alaska for 34 years and hunted, fished and trapped fur the whole time. So I hope to make some contact with builder/shooters nearby with like interests.
That is great! I love powder horns, and have 3 or 4, including one beautifully engraved with a pirate theme. I tried working with horn, but for some reason, don't enjoy the actual hands-on working! Best of luck! I do have one I'm going to engrave something on very simply. I dislike the smell of the horn material when it's filed or sanded. One tip I appreciate, maybe from the Sibley book, is using bags filled with sand to cradle the horn while etching.

Latest posts

Back