• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

All types of wad lube? (For continuous shooting)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone again! I know I have posted numerous post on different loops but now I want to know what lube best performs for you to where you can shoot on the fly without swabbing it? I’m asking this is that there are numerous options for wad lube like vegetable oil, olive oil, mink oil, ballistol, etc. And I want to hear it from smoothbore hunters.

For example, if I miss a squirrel in the tree I can immediately load the gun while watching him run from branch to branch and possibly take another shot at him or being at a dove field and continuously shoot at doves (by loading over and over again) that are continuously flying in the late afternoon, etc

I've used several gallons of Crisco over the years in my bp guns. Every now and then I get the urge to see if something works better like TC Bore Butter, and Hogdon's Pyrodex Lube, but Crisco has seemed to work as well as about anything else in my old double 12. Kind of messy in the summer time in my old cap and ball revolver though.

I don't own a smoothbore musket or fowler, but in my SxS shotguns I don't use any type of "lubed" wad & have no issues shooting & reloading while hunting. Don't think I've ever shot more than 20 rounds in a day even shooting at clays, so YMMV.

If its botanical or from a crtter you'll keep shooting all day.
20210807_185558.jpg

not trying to sound like a shrew...but why the fuss for 'shoot all day with out wiping"?

I wipe that barrel every shot I make. I like the consistency of it all. Seems I get better shots with a spiffy clean bore. Slows me down some, sure but that allows more time to think and not screw up.

Now I suspect if I was a pre industrial age soldier on the line getting shots ready and fired rapidly would be the order of the day. Anyone out there doing that lately? Just you reenactor dudes? cool.....

not trying to sound like a shrew...but why the fuss for 'shoot all day with out wiping"?

I wipe that barrel every shot I make. I like the consistency of it all. Seems I get better shots with a spiffy clean bore. Slows me down some, sure but that allows more time to think and not screw up.

Now I suspect if I was a pre industrial age soldier on the line getting shots ready and fired rapidly would be the order of the day. Anyone out there doing that lately? Just you reenactor dudes? cool.....
When crows are throwing themselves at you there is little time.
20211114_162502.jpg

Like Britsmoothy said any natural lube will get the job done. I simply use the mink oil from TOTW, it works in hot and cold weather for smoothbores and rifles. I have 8 smoothbores, muskets, pistols and shotguns. Find something you like and just use it. Love that pile of crows Britsmoothy!

Field use I can't say but I use a detergent solution at the range. That may not be real practical in the field though.

I don't own a smoothbore musket or fowler, but in my SxS shotguns I don't use any type of "lubed" wad & have no issues shooting & reloading while hunting. Don't think I've ever shot more than 20 rounds in a day even shooting at clays, so YMMV.
The only lubed wads I've ever used were the dry lubed felt wads from Ox Yoke. Mostly used Nitro over powder wads and they keep any fouling scraped down pretty well.

well.

Brit, you shooting the Big Ten there, that's what it looks like? If so what's your payload? Those are some mighty big pigeons and crows! Good shooting!
George.

+1 on the mink oil. I've also used bear grease, deer tallow, lard and veg. oils. Mostly depends on temps and availability. Mink oil is not runny in the heat and won't freeze solid in the cold.

I put mink oil on edge of 1/8 over powder wad. If I am using a fiber wad it has olive oil on it or soaked in melted crisco. If I am using just over powder cards I don't lube them. Working for me for 40 years.

Back