• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Alliant powder for black powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, Lotsa stuff there. I like the phrase "Functions best when HEAVILY compressed by the seated SABOT". Plus all they gave you was info on powder measurements plus whatever grain sabot you use. I also wonder how many barrels it has ruined by people thinking "not nearly corrosive" as Blackpowder means they don't have to clean it right after shooting it and wait 3 or 4 days before cleaning it. Also at $30.00 a lb I'll pass on it, not when I can get the real stuff for $17.00 to $19.00 a pound.

That's what BP goes for here, while some sub's go for $20!

I don't know where to get Black MZ at an acceptable price in Ontario, but from what I've read I'm willing to give it a try.

I saw an ad for it but had no idea how well it worked, how much it costs, or if it lives up to it's "almost non-corrosive" claim

I'm not sure I understand. Do you mean the type of powder I'm using ? I'm not using Alliant Black MZ, I was just wondering if it lives up to it's advertising. Oh, and not to nitpick but Dixon's is about an hour & a half from me which is a lot of gas to burn just to have a look see. There's a group of guys from my gun club who take occasional trips there & split the cost of gas & tolls, next time they go I'll be going with them. I never went with them before because I had no reason to since I only recently became a muzzleloader owner, but I'm looking forward to the next trip

steelerfan said:
I'm not sure I understand. Do you mean the type of powder I'm using ? I'm not using Alliant Black MZ, I was just wondering if it lives up to it's advertising. Oh, and not to nitpick but Dixon's is about an hour & a half from me which is a lot of gas to burn just to have a look see. There's a group of guys from my gun club who take occasional trips there & split the cost of gas & tolls, next time they go I'll be going with them. I never went with them before because I had no reason to since I only recently became a muzzleloader owner, but I'm looking forward to the next trip

Sorry for the confusion. Please don't take offense. No one I know that shoots muzzle loaders uses the powder you're asking about. Subs in general are "the big lie", as you will no doubt discover down the road.

I'm in Middlesex Co. NJ at the Raritan Bay and it takes me under 1:45 to get to Dixon's. PM me and tell me where you are and I'll find a route that will get you from Bucks Co. in less time than you mention.

If enough of you need powder, it only takes one in your group to buy it and have it shipped to their house or place of business. For around $18 per pound (often a little less) several of you can get together and pool your resources and buy a case of 25 pounds and split it up :wink:

I'm going to Dixon's this weekend. Once you make it there you won't care about the gas expense, lol! Might have to go to the Eye Doctor though since your eyes will bug OUT of yer head, lol!

Enjoy!

Dave

No offense taken at all, always glad for the info.
As I understand it Dixon's is just a bit past Cabela's, which I have been to. Is that right ? BTW, an hour & a half is a little long, I was adding time to my last trip to Cabela's, but that trip included a couple stops on the way there plus we took the scenic route so as to avoid the ripoff PA TP tolls

My understanding is that it is the same as American Pioneer. I had someone give me some and it was not even worth that! It was inacurate to say the least and it left residue in the barrel that looked like paper pulp. Black is best if you can get it.

Dixon's is at Exit #40 on Rt. 78. Take Rt. 737 North away from Kutztown, and into the village of Stony Run. As you go down the steep hill, look to the right and find the big brown sign that says "Home of the Muzzle Loading Fair". Turn right at sign and up the first driveway past the 3-car garage. BRING MONEY or a cc, since you'll go home with more than you thought possible. From powder & caps to rifles, revolvers and wads & balls, it will take both hands to walk-out, lol!

And don't forget to see Verna at Dietrich's Meat Market & Smokehouse: She sells everything but the "OINK" and if she could bottle THAT, she would, LOL! PA Dutch wet-bottom Chocolate Shoo-Fly Pie is my favorite!

Cabela's is at Exit #29-B, about 11 miles further West.

Tassel Ridge Winery just down the road from Dietrich's, and Cigars International store on Cabela's front lawn. So you got everything covered: Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, lol!

I'm going sometime this weekend. What day is up to my son who lives in Wyomissing.

P.S.: Some folks who used that sub you spoke of weren't too impressed by the looks of it....so get you some REAL black powder and you'll be set and steered right!

Enjoy!

Dave

The question was about Black MZ. I use only Goex in my flintlock rifles, but I use Black MZ. It does not build up in the barrel, and comparing it to some out-dated sub is not fair. If you follow the manufacturers recommendation, and pack it tight, it is very accurate. I've used it out of ROA, 32 cal. Cherokee, and 50 cal. TC Hawken. I got good groups and it did not build up in barrel, it was easy to clean. It's the least expensive of all the subs, at Shooter's Discount, at less than $23. a can. Takes less per shot, which stretches it farther. And, I like supporting the local folks. Alliant not to far from me. I would recommend it for cap lock guns only. One reason I think it works good in small cal. barrels, is because there is no build up. I shoot the little 32, 15-20 times, without cleaning between shots. The last shot went down as easy as the first. I have not chronograph, so I guess I'm still experimenting at this point.

Oh, ok, I had some bad info, I was told it was past Cabela's, not before it. Thank you for clearing that up

hadden west said:
The question was about Black MZ. I use only Goex in my flintlock rifles, but I use Black MZ. It does not build up in the barrel, and comparing it to some out-dated sub is not fair. If you follow the manufacturers recommendation, and pack it tight, it is very accurate. I've used it out of ROA, 32 cal. Cherokee, and 50 cal. TC Hawken. I got good groups and it did not build up in barrel, it was easy to clean. It's the least expensive of all the subs, at Shooter's Discount, at less than $23. a can. Takes less per shot, which stretches it farther. And, I like supporting the local folks. Alliant not to far from me. I would recommend it for cap lock guns only. One reason I think it works good in small cal. barrels, is because there is no build up. I shoot the little 32, 15-20 times, without cleaning between shots. The last shot went down as easy as the first. I have not chronograph, so I guess I'm still experimenting at this point.

Thank you for that info. I'll have to try to get my hands on some to try before I buy it. Right now I'm just starting a 1 lb. can of pyrodex & it my gun rifle is shooting nice groups right now with 80 gr. & patched ball so I won't be buying any right away but I'm kind of wishing I had heard of this stuff before I bought the pyrodex

I use it and it is "clean" burning, easy cleanup, and shoots accurate groups for me. :thumbsup:
My only complaint is that I can't find it in Alabama and must make a trip to Columbus, GA, to buy it. :stir:

Back