• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Almost turkey season....!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PJC said:
roundball said:
Already got my license & tags;
Already got permission renewed to hunt the little woodlot again;
Already have my 28ga Early Virginia turkey load dialed in to use this year;
Already have all the items I normally hunt with;
Just waiting for April 13th...
:wink:
What load did you settle on?
Looking forward to the stories and photo's of the 28 gauge.
As an aside, in my interest to try things like the settlers did, I also want to take a long beard with a PRB, but we can’t use ”˜rifles’ for turkey in NC.
Contacted the NC-WRC and asked them to verify that since there were no regs about the size or number of pellets used in a shotgun, did that mean that a slug would be legal out of a shotgun...and in the same vein, a single ball out of a smoothbore muzzleloader.
The answer was yes, no smoothbore related restrictions other than nothing larger than a 10ga can be used. I used Email to contact them so I could print off / laminate their reply and have it in my hunting vest in case I'm checked by a GW.

So I’ll be trying a PRB in the TVM .54cal(28ga) smoothbore Early Virginia this spring”¦hunting my same private / posted land, same type of 20-40yd shot in thick woods. Shooting on the horizontal at 18-20 inches above the ground I won't miss a turkey's body at that range, and given all the above there won't be any danger to anyone else.

I've studied the diagrams on shot placement because the vitals on a turkey are not where you'd normally think they are...they're a lot higher up. Just going to use the same load I use for deer hunting because that's how the sights are set.
( 90grns Goex 3F, .022” Oxyoke precut / prelubed patch, .520” ball )

If I'm lucky enough to fill the first tag with a PRB, then I'll switch to a shot load in the 28ga and try to get the other tag filled...probably the #6s shown in the middle 25yd tuna can test photo:
( 60grns Goex 3F, 1/2" Circle Fly lubed cushion wad, OS card, 100grns #6s, OS card )

05301125ydTunaCanPenetrationTests.jpg

Roundball,
Best of luck this season. Looks like you have a good plan. Hope to see the results.

Roundball,
Thanks for the load information. I think I will have to go shopping for a 54cal/28 gauge smoothbore rifle.
Deer, Squirrel, Turkey killing machine.

PJC

Looking forward to a post mortem with a round ball load.
Would love to use a 36 or a 40 cal...
Now to find a state near by where that's possible-legal.
Is it April yet?

PJC said:
Roundball,
Thanks for the load information. I think I will have to go shopping for a 54cal/28 gauge smoothbore rifle.
Deer, Squirrel, Turkey killing machine.
PJC
I love mine for sure...so far its taken several deer, some squirrels, and some doves...hoping to close the deal on a Turkey with it this spring to sort of round it out.

Latest posts

Back