• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Alpine training

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jim, be very careful of the altitude. No amount of sea-level training can get you prepared. The best you can do is try to get to your destination at least three days in advance, and take things easy. I've heard that Rolaids eases the symptoms of altitude sickness, but I can't speak from experience.
Have a great hunt.

I love the area where the pines disappear and you get into the spruces. I found a spruce that had bear claw marks in it, and forgot to take a picture! THere was bear sign all over, in one area, a bear or several had destroyed about 20 rotted logs and stumps! THere were stones turned over, and lots of scat. I'm going to the CLA show, but when I get back, my wife and I are going back up there to do some more scouting, and I'll get more pictures.
It feels great to be back in the mountains, it's in my blood. My hip took a long time to heal, but I think I'm back!!

Wow, that's one heck of a training program. PM me your exact hunt location and how to identify your camp. I might need some help packing out. :rotf:

On a more serious note, Brines mentioned the altitude thing and he is correct. You will be going from sea level to eight or ten thousand feet. Your training will help immensely, but altitude adaptation has a lot to do with the body responding by increasing the number of red cells in your blood. Research on people who worked summers at the top of Mt Evans (14,000 +) and spent their nights at 10,000 feet showed a huge increase in red cells.

That said, it's not that big a thing to worry about. Just educate yourself on the signs of altitude problems and hydrate more than you think necessary.

Glad to hear you are shaping up. :thumbsup:

I've been fighting a knee problem last few weeks. It's coming around.

I envy you going to the CLA show!

marmotslayer said:
Nothing like hot days and a full moon to change their habits. :)

Another thing I saw on my scout was a huge dead cat in the middle of the trail. First thought it was a bobcat, but it had a long tail. Had been dead for a long time. I think someone did the environment a favor and whacked it. :haha:
Ya remember last year, coulden't buy a bugle during bow and muzzleloader season.
HOT HOT HOT

Went up again today...it's hot!! Found some trails hidden in the trees that I have walked by since 1974. How I never saw them is beyond me. Maybe because I'm old, I'm moving slower.
Anyway, saw nothing. These trails are lower down the mountain that the ones I showed before, and there seemed to be nothing moving. Not tracks, no droppings. Elk must be high.
Good luck everybody!

I'll be bow hunting deer this week end if I shake this cold :( Grand son will probably have an archery elk tag and I'll try to call a bull for him. If so, arrowing a deer will just be by accident. :haha:

Am resolving to take more pictures! :)

CIMG0713.jpg

CIMG0714.jpg

Think this would be tough? Elk hide in here.
CIMG0715.jpg

CIMG0716.jpg

Back