• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

"alternative fiber" tarps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ghost said:
Some things are necessary for participation.
Other things are "acceptable" for participation.

I do not have control over your actions or thought processes, over what you learn, know or do.

And I refuse to take tha blame if you look farby.

Hmmm, Ghost, does this mean that one should use what one wants, regardless of historical accuracy?

Are you saying that since we can't be 100% historically accurate, that we shouldn't even try?

Hey, that sounds good. Let's agree that buckskin bikinis are acceptable, especially when worn by attractive young women. :thumbsup:

You last post sounded as if you were promoting the, "if theyd a had it, theyd a used it" philosphy. :yakyak:

Why the sudden 180 degree change in attitude from other threads where you chastised people for not trying to be HC, or is it because someone wants something you don't have?

Skagan, If you want to be as HC as possible, and can afford to spend the money to be as correct as possible, go for it. The only question I might have, is what time period do you reenact? And what was the most common fabric in use for tarps and tentage, at that time.

I try to encourage people to research their time period before spending their hard earned cash. Some items aren't all that expensive, and won't cost all that much to replace as one learns more about the clothing, equipment, and correct materials and construction, for their time frame.

Other items can be very costly. Costly is relative to how much one can afford, and how much one can spend to replace items found to be incorrect after the original purchase.

In the long run, researching on the computer or buying books is more cost effective than going in completely blind, or by being misled by someone who doesn't know any more than you do, and often knows less than you do.
J.D.

Apparently you didn't read the rest of this year old post!!!

!!!!2005!!!! Let me read this now, I can't remember everything I said during the entire year 2005, though I was probably right about whatever it was.

:hmm:

I believe the comments I made were concerning the fact that I do not have control over anyones' actions or how stupid they look in their gear. They can be wrong if they want too, that's the American way.

Just like with this cut and paste effort, you're going to do what you want to do.

You go to editing every post I have made and you will have your hands full! there's around 2000 of them! I guess that will keep everyone else out of the line of fire for a while.

:bow:

!!!!2005!!!! Let me read this now, I can't remember everything I said during the entire year 2005, though I was probably right about whatever it was.
:rotf: :rotf:
Good one Ghost :applause: :applause: Now that's confidence!
I'd forgotten about this post actually. A year's a loonnnggg time for this forum I think.
I finallty made me another tarp, It's some type of denim/canvas with a really thick weave. I haven't water proofed it yet, and want to test it out in the backyard to see what type of natural water resistance it has before I do anything else to it. It's 8x10 and makes a fine cozy little trail tarp.
My painter's tarp that I treated with the Olympic deck stain has died a horrible death; the dog shredded it :shake:. Also, after examining the remnants, I think maybe the stain weakend the fiber as well.
I've about given up on trying to convince anyone else on standards-based reenacting, it's too frustrating. I'll never be as good as some of these guys, ( and am fine with that) but I am still opposed to the "costumed campers" who don't even try. I do it now for my self and avoid the debate all together.

Way to go ghost, deflect the real issue by bringing up a red herring issue that has no bearing on the original thread.

I saw this thread on the sidebar, to the right of the messages, so I assumed that this thread was current.

And you don't have to try to remember what you posted in 2005, much less last week. All ya gotta do is read your posts. Oh, yeah, I just remembered, you only read into a post what you want to read into it, as opposed to what is actually written, so why bother.

So what if this thread is a year old? Your message that I quoted, including parts that I did not quote, implied that any attempt at a historically correct camp was usless, since no one would notice. I notice, and so do other people, but the important thing is the owner of the camp knows he is trying to get it right.

I still ask the question, why the 180 degree change from chastizing people who try to cheat, to chastizing someone who is trying to get it right?

I recently read a message where you chastized someone for using a stainless steel mug. In this thread you chastize Skagan for trying to get it right.

So what gives?

Are you trying to encourage people to improve their clothing and equipment, or are you just trying to start an argument? I suspect the latter.
J.D.

lonesomebob said:
In my opinion all this manure about PC is simply tooting your own horn so others will look at and hopefully admire you. My hand made buckskins and fire arms are older than most of you and I really don't care.

That's why they have different events for different people. Some care and some don't.

It's not about right or wrong, it's about letting others enjoy their hobby as they wish.

lonesomebob said:
:bow: :rotf: :blah: Ghost and all. When rondevous started it was about shooting ,camping and having fun. PC discussions came along later when people wanted to seem better and smarter than guys who really didnt care about letting PC spoil the fun. In my opinion all this manure about PC is simply tooting your own horn so others will look at and hopefully admire you. My hand made buckskins and fire arms are older than most of you and I really don't care. Thanks to all. Bob

I beg to differ.

I think reenacting the Rendezvous started because people wanted to relive a by-gone era, and see what it was like to "be" a mountain-man. They wanted to dress like, camp like, shoot guns like, etc.

Sure, it was fun, but obviously some people don't want to work at it as hard as others. AND, that's okay... there's events for you. You shouldn't tell others how to pursue their idea of fun.

For some, just holding a guitar is enough... For others, they actually want to learn how to play the instrument. :v

Both of you, please continue your personal discussion outside the Forum. It offers nothing of value to this thread.

J.D. said:
Way to go ghost, deflect the real issue by bringing up a red herring issue that has no bearing on the original thread.

I saw this thread on the sidebar, to the right of the messages, so I assumed that this thread was current.

And you don't have to try to remember what you posted in 2005, much less last week. All ya gotta do is read your posts. Oh, yeah, I just remembered, you only read into a post what you want to read into it, as opposed to what is actually written, so why bother.

So what if this thread is a year old? Your message that I quoted, including parts that I did not quote, implied that any attempt at a historically correct camp was usless, since no one would notice. I notice, and so do other people, but the important thing is the owner of the camp knows he is trying to get it right.

I still ask the question, why the 180 degree change from chastizing people who try to cheat, to chastizing someone who is trying to get it right?

I recently read a message where you chastized someone for using a stainless steel mug. In this thread you chastize Skagan for trying to get it right.

So what gives?

Are you trying to encourage people to improve their clothing and equipment, or are you just trying to start an argument? I suspect the latter.
J.D.

Latest posts

Back